White Hart - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

White Hart

PLACES > Buildings > Inns
White Hart - also known as The Snooty Fox
1594-1632
Has occupied the site since at least this date. Robert Hibert was the freeholder until at least 1632. In 1603 a John Dryver is listed as tenant.
1594, 1603 and 1632 survey of the lands of Tetbury
1775
Nightly balls were held after the Tetbury Races, in the White Hart Assembly rooms
Newspaper
1780
Mr Ledgingham paid £4.0.0 land tax ' for ye white hart inn'
Land tax
1780
Ledgingham of the White Hart was one of four performing a journey between Gloucester and Bath
Newspaper
1784
Mr James Savage removed from the White Lion to the White Hart which he had furnished in ‘a stile of elegant neatness and has procured good beds’
Newspaper
1791
January – advert for the sale of the lease of the ‘long established house, being the principal inn in the town to be disposed of by private contract the present possessor retiring from business’ – apply to Mrs Jane Savage, widow on the premises
Newspaper
1791
The principal inn in Tetbury, with Thomas Morgan as landlord.

1794
The parish rates valued the White Hart at £26 4s and Mr Spering paid £2 12s 4.5d [
Gloucestershire Archives ref.P328/1 Parish Records
1814
Edward Edwards was occupier, bankruptcy hearing to take place there
Newspaper
1816
Edward Edwards was convicted for not having sent a Stamp Office ticket with a pair of horses hired from his premises
Newspaper
1820
Edward Edwards was in charge and advertising chaises to hire
Newspaper
1822
Coaches depart from the inn to Bath (Mon Weds Fri at 3.00pm) & Oxford (Tues Thursday Sat at 12noon) - Edward Edwards
                       Edward Edwards had a mortgage of £250 on property in 1822
Newspaper
1823
Richard Constable left the White Hart to wife Sarah in his will, and on her death to their son Richard Bishop Constable.
PCC Will
1830
Edward Edwards Royal Mail Coaches from Cheltenham to Bath leave daily at 9am; Bath to Cheltenham 5pm
Newspaper
1838
Valuation Survey [for tithe commutation] owner R.B.Constable and occupier as Edward Edwards. Annual Value was £60
Tithe Valuation Survey  Gloucestershire Archives ref.P328
1839
rates list owner as R.B. Constable, occupier as Edward Edwards
Gloucestershire Archives ref.P328/1 Parish records
1839
Richard Keylock, a 15 year old employee was sentenced to six months hard labour in the penitentiary for failing to admit to finding Mrs Edwards purse in the yard where she had dropped it. On spending more than would have been expected his box was searched and the purse found.
Newspaper - Gloucestershire Chronicle Saturday 09 March 1839
1844
Edward Edwards
Trade directory
1849-1852
R.S. Holford had the Inn rebuilt to a design by Lewis Vulliamy, in a 'Jacobean style, with shaped gables with finials, and a ground-floor iron veranda.' A ballroom for the Beaufort Hunt was on the first floor, which later became divided by partitions.

1852
Advert announcing reopening on 4th October following the refurbishment under the management of John Barrow. Stabling, coach house, loose boxes well adapted for commercial gentlemen and sportsmen.
Newspaper - Bristol Mercury 16/10/1852
1856
White Hart Commercial Inn and Posting House, Market Place - Richard Bannister also Excise Officer
Trade directory
1859
White Hart Commercial Hotel run by Richard Bannister (b.1817-65)
Trade directory
1860
Richard Bannister occupier, Holford owner
Gloucestershire Archives ref.P328/1 Parish records
1861
Richard Bannister is listed with wife Elizabeth  (1824-) and also:
David Paish servant 18 boots b Cirencester, GLS
Sarah - bins servant 21 waitress Brokenborough, WIL
Mary Russel servant 16 kitchenmaid Shipton Moyne, GLS
Margaret Vick servant 14 nursemaid Tetbury, GLS
1861 Census
1863
Richard Bannister
Trade directory
1868-1879
Elizabeth Bannister
Trade directory
1870
E.Bannister was a member of the Licensed Victuallers Tea Association, a group formed in 1867 it seems from the tone of its advert, to compete with Grocers who were selling wines in direct competition with landlords. A tit for tat sort of affair I think.
Newspaper
1874
John Dickenson was a groom working at the White Hart
Newspaper
1876
Inland Revenue Office ran from White Hart, Wm Alfred Butter as officer
Newspaper
1882
Richard Edwards proprietor
Trade directory
1884
afternoon teas for parties and outings
Newspaper
1884
Mrs Edwards advertising for a kitchenmaid ‘at once for a Country Hotel’
Newspaper
1885
Assembly Rooms, White Hart R Edwards proprietor
Trade directory
1889
White Hart Family & Commercial Hotel & Posting House, Richard Edwards Market Place
Trade directory
1889
'Mr Gilbert Farquhar stage managed an amateur performance of The Dowager at The White Hart on 16th inst. Lady Edward Somerset played Margaret Beauchamp and there was a very aristocratic audience. Betsy Baker was the afterpiece.'
Newspapers- The Era Saturday 26 January 1889
1891
n the Licensing Acts of 1891 it was occupied by Richard Edwards on an annual tenancy with an estimated rent of £60, and rateable value of £48, owned by R.S.Holford; 7 day alehouse license; freehouse.
Licensing Acts printed volumes
1893
Richard Edwards
Trade directory
1897
Richard Edwards, the proprietor was advertising the Assembly Rooms
Newspaper
1903
By 1903 it was owned and occupied by Thomas Wheeler; 7 day alehouse license, £78 estimated rental and rateable value of £62 7s 6d. Freehouse closing at 11.00pm. It had transferred hands twice in the last 5 years.
Licensing Acts printed volumes
1906
Beaufort Hunt Ball held in January
Newspaper
1910
T.Wheeler
Trade directory
1914
Thomas Wheeler was running the Assembly Rooms and White Hart Hotel
Trade directory
1916
Thomas Wheeler
Trade directory
1918
advert appeared for farmers wishing to sell horses could attend The White Hart on 20 February at 11 where the Board Purchasing Officer would be in attendance. As licenses were issued for those not bought I can only assume without further detail that this was so they could be sent to the front line for what would be the last few months of the war.
Newspaper - Gloucester Journal Saturday 16 February 1918
1921
The first cinema in Tetbury was set up in the White Hart by Mr Shaw Phillips

1924
Thomas Edward Rennie proprietor prosecuted for selling alcohol out of hours and holding card parties
Newspaper
1930
Part of stables to the rear of the White Hart was converted to a cinema
Newspaper
1935
G.Adams proprietor
Tetbury Almanac
1945
Mrs Hermione Beatrice Lomas Radmilovic licensee
Newspaper
1948
parties of 80 catered for afternoon tea
Newspaper
1950
advert for staff with interviews at either Bristol or Gloucester, applications to C.Thomas
Newspapers 3/5/1950 Western Daily Press
1960
It became known as The Snooty Fox when purchased by Maxwell Joseph

1970s
Sold and became known as White Hart again

post 2000
In recent years the name has changed again to The Snooty Fox

Back to content