Home Timeline People Places Life

THE BOOT

The Boot was in business certainly by 1797, possibly as early as the 1670s when it was let to an innkeeper, and until 1910 when it had it’s licence refused.  The building was lattice windowed and situated on Church Street near to the start of Market Place and the Town Hall.  On many documents the address appears as Market Place but the original deeds etc viewed refer to it as on Church Street.

Gloucestershire Archives: Leases of property held by the Vicar and the Feoffees in trust. - ref. D 566/T/3/6 1699-1797



1627

February 2 - two soldiers billeted at 'Boothall' John Ladde and Wm Percye

1674

surrender of lease dated 1674 Tobias Beale sergeweaver

1699

William Hone’s counterpart; William Hone, innkeeper; consideration £4 6s; formerly in occupation of Mary Blake and now Sylvester Parker;lives of Mary Hone, wife of William and sons John and William; annual rent £5 10s

1705

William Hone’s will PCC mentions sons Wm & John, wife Mary and property in occupation of Sylvester Parker

1769

counterpart of a lease to James Warn victualler for 99 years 30/3/1769 £42 consideration money; formerly in possession of widow Mary Blake, since Robert Burge and now several possessions of widow Elizabeth Clark, Charles Dixon tailor, Richard Smith the younger butcher, Robert Parker butcher; immediately after decease of spinster Mary Hone and 99 years lease to John Savage clerk aged 20y, Robert Warn, son of James Warn aged 14y; annual rent £5 10s [note on outside of document questioning if this is The Boot]

1777

James Warn died leaving legacies to widow Eleanor, son Robert, daughters Judith [Swinterton] and Elizabeth [Walker]

1777

indenture of surrender mentioned in a release to Robert Warn as one of the three named lives [John Paul Tippets now named John Paul Paul aged c.25; John Warn son of Robert Warn aged c.11y; Hannah Warn daughter of Robert Warn aged c.15y]annual rent of £5 10s to the vicar [Robert Davies or his successors]; to maintain the property and it’s outhouses etc, not to thatch the roof of any building; consideration money of £26 5s paid

1793

Mr Robert Warn of The Boot

1795

used by commissioners of bankruptcy for meeting of creditors

1797

10/10/1797 mentioned in leases of property held by the Manor of Tetbury – see 1777 entry

1798

Mr Warn, innkeeper

1799

used for auction sale

1800-1807

annual payments for the Friendly Society annuity, and started by Richard Davies, vicar, were to be made on the Boot on Whitsunday after which members were to attend divine service in the church, and a dinner.

1808

A terrier of the glebe lands has an entry for The Boot: ‘Item The Boot Inn and a stable formerly but now converted into a place to keep Beer in, with a backside now in the possession of Robert Warn by a lease and let by him to an undertenant’

1816

Robert Warn dies but will mentions Horse Collar as his premises – was this the same or another property?

1820

Sarah Simmonds

1822-1823

Richard Wilkins

1823

19 November 1823. Offender: Richard Wilkins of the Boot Public House, Tetbury, victualler. Crime: Failing to observe a condition of the recognizance entered into when obtaining a licence. Other details: J. P. Paul, J.P., George Peter Holford, J.P., and Rev. D. Lysons, J.P. First offence. Fined £3 and 3/- expenses. [Pencilled note reads: Letal & Paul not pd.]

1830

Gge Frape

1838

Daniel Cole [owned by George Clarke]

1844

Daniel Cole [died 4/3/1849 leaving all to widow Ann]

1852-1876

Samuel Saunders;also owned property on Harper Street; died at The Boot February 1876

1878

charwoman Mrs Prudence Cook [widow, 67y] drank a substance whilst cleaning the premises thinking it to be gin. It turned out to be ammonia and after suffering terrible agony for three weeks she later died, verdict of coroners court was accidental death.

1878

In August at the petty sessions annual licencing day the licence was not renewed due to a complaint against the inn; adjourned for a fortnight.

1878

John Withers, landlord of The Boots was violently assaulted by travellers attending the Mop fair in October.  The three men were to be imprisoned for two months after being tried at Tetbury Petty Sessions [Gloucester Citizen 19/10/1878]

1880

Henry Bishop ‘of the Boot’

1881

Thomas Townsend

1885

Thomas Townsend also wood haulage business

1891

LICENSING ACT Thomas Townsend - alehouse tied to Nailsworth Brewery on annual lease

1897

Townsend Thomas, Jun, Boot P.H & Hurdle Maker Market Place.

1903

LICENSING ACT Thomas Townsend owned by Rev W Thomson alehouse tied to Nailsworth Brewery on half yearly tenancy closing at 11pm

1903

In February a fresh case of swine fever was reported at the inn

1909

alehouse licence Thomas Townsend – at a meeting of the Gloucestershire Compensation Authority, licensing rules 1904 act of parliament Tetbury had four licenses refused.  Mr A.Kitcat appeared for the Tetbury Magistrates and Supt Perkins was principal witness.  Registered owner was Rev.Dr Thomson, Mr Percy Haddock [Cheltenham Original Brewery] appeared for the freeholder and licensee but the license was not granted [no reason reported].  This was in May and in October an amount in excess of £1100 was claimed by the licensee but the amount awarded and accepted was £660.

1910

license expired on 4th inst [report in paper 5/2/1910]

1914

Valuation Survey ‘formerly Boot Inn’

1920

Rev Thompson sold to Munday & Fowler: this was part of a sale of the church glebe lands and raised £325 which was invested.