Situated on Hampton Street, the inn was in business as early as 1784. It the Valuation Survey taken in 1914 it was in the following condition:
‘Slated house, buildings and land in fair repair; second floor – attic; first floor – 3 bedrooms; ground floor – sitting room, larder, kitchen, smoke room, taproom and bar; outside – clubroom with hayloft over, loose box for 3,saddle room with loft over, open cart shed made of timber and iron, loose box and coach house made of timber and iron, loose box for 2 [slated], stable for 2, loose box. Two W.C.s in yard, partly paved and covered in; good piece of land at rear. Town water supplied.’
February 2 - two soldiers billeted here Phillipp Bevans and John Jones
John Winterson [died 1800 leaving property to wife Martha and daughters Elizabeth and Mary] - see also Jolly Butchers
Robert Ind victualler 1820-1822; also dealer [in cattle, a family trade]
William Tanner, innkeeper fined for keeping his premises open during the hours of divine service; fined £5 plus costs.
Joseph Giles [c.1800-1875] is listed as innkeeper in baptism entry; he married Sarah Ind.
Joseph Giles tenant owned by Cooks in Valuation
Joseph Giles tenant owned by Cooks in poor rates
Joseph Giles in directory but there is also evidence that he was farming by this date and living on Bath Bridge
Thomas Wilkins tenant and Cooks owners in rates
William White – directories show William on Cirencester Road in 1861 as a farmer yet earlier entries show him as landlord of the inn. It was quite common for an innkeeper to have two occupations as the income from the beer trade was not usually sufficient to keep them and their families.
In an act of stupidity, described by the Gloucestershire Chronicle as ‘costly larking’ farmer John Griffin tried to burn the whiskers of shoemaker Mr Rudder whilst he was asleep at the bar. Regrettably in the course of setting light to the long whiskers [and burning them off] Griffin burnt Rudder’s face resulting in a fine and payment of costs totalling £50.
Gloucestershire Chronicle 14/7/1877 p4
James White, son of William White murdered
Jas (Mrs.) Sweeney & carrier; formerly of the Prince and Princess where her late husband James, a coachman from Yorkshire had been innkeeper. He died in 1884.
Mrs Sweeney married John Philpot, son of Hubert [gas works manager], who was 24 years her junior. They moved on to become hotel keepers of the Railway Inn, Charfield. Her maiden name was Kate Cordelia Wear, and John was her third husband.
An omnibus with seating for 14 was on sale and on view at the Greyhound
Licensing Act: John Philpot tenant, owned by Messrs Cook, a tied alehouse on an annual lease; 1 transfer in previous year
directory lists W.Horton as landlord [directories would be compiled the preceeding year]
on 19 December Edward Boulton took over tenancy on annual lease
Edward Boulton was fined £2 and his license endorsed for allowing drunkenness on his premises in December
Licensing Act: Edward Boulton tenant, Messes Cook owners of the alehouse on a tied lease; Quarterly; closing 11pm
April: Edward Boulton’s 9 year old daughter was involved in a trap accident at Malmesbury when the horse bolted whilst under her control and ran over a young boy causing him critical injuries. The girl was used to driving her father in the trap
sold by Cooks to Stroud Brewery along with other inns
Gilbert Charles Merrett
Tetbury League skittles matches held at The Greyhound attracted onlookers of 200 plus.