The Fox - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

The Fox

PLACES > Buildings > Inns
Situated on Fox Hill, with a small stream running in front of it, was recorded as ‘The Fox’ in the C18 and was finally closed as a pub in 1965.
The Land Valuation survey from 1914 described the property:
‘stone and stone tile, stucco front, house and inn in fair repair [roof bad] containing 3 bedrooms, 2 attics; bar, bar parlour, kitchen, club room, cellars underground, garden with 2 pigstyes, fowl house, store place, WC, urinal, and 2 stall stable; town water. Note that stone built and corrugated iron store adjoining is let to Mrs Poole at 1 shilling per year paid to Stroud Brewery'
Building description noted on 15/9/1914
C18th
Joseph Hobbs and his family was 'of The Fox'. Jsp Hobbs, victualler age 55 buried in 1773
1780
Daniel Tanner paid 4s6d land tax
1794
Mrs Wright paid poor rates for the Fox [Mary Hobbs m.Wm Wright who died 1794]
1822-1823
William Sandy was 'mine host'!
1830
Robert Taylor
1838
Valuation Survey owner J Cook, occupier Robert Wakefield
1839
Robert Wakefield
1844
James Wakefield
1850-1864
John Hunt from Bath, Somerset
1860
In the 1860 poor rates John Hunt was living on the premises which were owned by Messrs Cook
1861
John Hunt, also listed as a carpenter and wheelwright
1870
Elijah Mann
1872
former landlord John Hunt died
1876
Elijah T.Mann
1881
Elijah T Mann & family resident innkeeper
1885-1889
William Compton
1891
William Compton was the occupier with an annual tenancy from Messrs Cook who were the owners
1897
William Compton
1900
William Compton fined £2 for allowing drunkenness on his premises
1903
William Compton - In 1903 he was still in occupancy on a quarterly tenancy agreement from Messrs Cook. The Inn was open 7 days a week, and until 11pm. William had received one conviction during the past 5 years
1906-1907
William Compton
1908
William Compton [Directories compiled during the year prior to date]
1907
27 November Frederick Ashleford took tenancy on an annual lease from Cooks, later Stroud Brewery
1910
Frederick Ashleford
1913
Cooks sold to Stroud Brewery
1913
Frederick Ashleford, valuation form
1914-1919
Frederick Ashleford
1924-1935
Frank Jefferies
1938
Percy Wilkins fined £3 for serving late until 11 instead of 10 on Christmas Eve 1937
1939
Percy Wilkins fined £3 for serving alcohol on a Sunday morning
1940
Percy Wilkins
1940
The inn was owned by the Stroud Brewery
1965
It closed as a public house and became Fox House
Back to content