The Crown - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

The Crown

PLACES > Buildings > Inns
The Crown Inn was formerly the Angel Inn, and before that The Queens Arms. It may have had another name before this and changed when Queen Anne came to the throne in 1702. There was another Angel Inn recorded in Long Street so it may have had it's name changed to The Crown to differentiate from that one. The stables of this popular coaching inn were reached from Gumstool Hill until Chipping Hill cut through the Croft. A cabinet maker by the name of Omar Davis had his workshops around the back. The world famous Woolsack races start/finish here.

1627
William Slaughter was a soldier billeted here on 2nd February

1693
rebuilding work undertaken

mid 1700s
The Crown owned by Christopher Clarke [maybe in part] according to transcript of deeds mainly relating to Crew House.

1774
Old Angel left in trust to Joseph Orum, son of Moses, by William Orum of Garsdon, along with one other property

1776
Moses Orum entitled to vote as owner of 2 houses in Tetbury. He lived in Charlton, Wiltshire; the Tetbury houses were inhabited by J.Bailey and F.Long - there is no indication if either were an inn

1780
William Cox paid land tax for 'ye angel' 5 shillings

1793
advert for auction at the house of William Coxe [the Angel Inn, Tetbury]
25/3/1793 Gloucester Journal
1802
Mrs Cox, wife of William of The Angel Inn, died. 1/2/1802

1804
Edwards Staymakers from the Cross, Gloucester visited for the purpose of attending his patrons from the evening of Wednesday 2nd May until noon on Thursday 3rd.
30/4/1804 Gloucester Journal
1820
Angel - Francis Crew, also a plasterer & tiler

1822
Angel - Francis Crew

1824
In 1824 The Angel Inn was occupied by Francis Crew and he paid land tax of £4 14s 7d

1830
Angel -  John Berry

1838
The Angel Inn owned by Francis Brown, occupied by Francis Crew
Tithe Valuation
1840s
no listing in directories of this era

1856
William Lock

1859
William Lock

1860
In the Rate Book of 1860 the owner of The Crown was Sarah Sealy, and the Inn was occupied by William Lock. An area known as Crown Inn Yard held a warehouse which was rented to C & J Fowles, and a cottage rented to Fanny Palmer.

1863
William Lock

1870
William Lock

1876
William Lock, also a farmer

1885
William Lock

1891
Licensing Act lists The CROWN with landlord ET Mann, tied to Messrs Cook alehouse on an annual lease with 1 transfer

1894
E.Mann

1897
Elijah Thomas Mann, Crown P.H Union Street

1898
Elijah Mann fined at Tetbury Petty Sessions for being drunk on his own premises

1903
Licensing Act lists The Crown with landlord Ernest Wm Mann tied to Messers Cook alehouse on a quarterly lease, closing at 11pm; 2 transfers and 1 conviction

1914
Ernest Mann Crown P.H & chimney sweeper Union Street

1915
Valuation Survey assessment lists licensed house, cottage, buildings and land which was part of the business sold by Cooks to Stroud Brewery in 1913 for £33,000. The Crown was valued at £830.

1950
Charles & Elsie Bowsher

1980s
childs shoe found during refurbishment

The Crown rear entrance in 2015
Back to content