The Bell was situated at no. 20 The Knapp c.1831-1926 (New Church Street in 1896).
The image below shows the house which was the former inn as it was in 2006.
©Lynne Cleaver 2006
February 2nd two soldiers billeted here were Thomas Cooke and John Lane
Miss Taylor owned the property which was occupied by John Crew
John Crew also a plasterer & tiler
Edward Howes also a mason
Licensing Acts List of all Licensed Premises: W.G. Weare was tenant with the lease managed by Messrs Cook. Property owner was T.S.Crew. The license was for an alehouse which was tied to Cooks and on an annual lease
Henry Cull and William George Wear listed.
Licensing Acts List of all Licensed Premises: Henry Edward Cull was the tenant with the lease from Messrs N & W Cook. The property owner was still T.S. Crew. The tenancy agreement was quarterly and closing time was 11pm, seven days a week for the alehouse which was still tied to Cooks.