Tetbury Dispensary was established on 28 September 1818 and it’s first surgeon was Richard Filkin Esq.
Although it never merged with the Cottage Hospital, as was discussed in 1870, it eventually offered it's services from the newly built hospital building on Fox Hill. One more affluent subscriber to the funds was Miss Augusta Paul who was known in the area for doing good amongst the poor and needy. She continued the subscription even after leaving Tetbury for Clifton until her death in 1911.
1874 Appointment of Mr W.Wickham and Mr Averill as medical officers to the dispensary
1889 Dispensary Fox Hill: William Wickham Medical Officer; Arthur Dunsford Treasurer; R.C Paul Hon Secretary
1890 At the annual meeting it was reported that 150 cases had been seen through the year of which 135 were cured, 14 relieved and one died.
1897 Dispensary - William Wickham M.R.C.S. Eng Medical Officer; Albert Appleby Treasurer; Geo Bigwood Secretary
1909 Dispensing Rooms, Silver Street
1914 Dispensary - John Stafford Mellish M.R.C.S, L.R.C.P & Desborough Brodie M.B, B.S Lond hon medical officers; Edward Thomas Boyce Treasurer; George Bigwood Secretary
1923 Dispensary, Silver Street - John Stafford Mellish M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. & Richard Ernest Sedgwick M.D. hon. medical officers; Geo Tovey hon. treasurer
In 1931 it was described as ‘this charity is exclusively intended for the relief of the labouring and industrious persons of the town and neighbourhood, who are incapable of defraying the expenses of advice and medicines’.
LS54567 Appointment of officers to Tetbury Dispensary
Registers of Richard Filkin, surgeon. (Names of patients and prescriptions).