Home Timeline People Places Life

The Talbot

Sometimes referred to as on Silver Street and others on Market Place, The Talbot  is c.16th or c.17th in origin,  with it's early c.19th façade with tripartite windows and a pleasant arcade along the front partly supported on tuscan pillars.  Investigation into a two square metre room adjoining the cellar, reported in Glevensis* No.19 1985, revealed a limestone floor which had collapsed at some stage.  This was covering a supposed cistern or well.  Deposits removed and ceramics were passed to an expert, and other finds to the Corinium Museum in Cirencester. Items were dated back to the late C.16th [from Germany] up to the C.17th.  Most finds were related to the hospitality trade. For many years it was one of the top hostelries in the town


* Journal of Gloucestershire Industrial Archaeological Society

1600

evidence of inn on site prior to Talbot

GIAS

1720

inhabited by Thomas Hinton


1794

not listed in rates for this year

P328/1 parish records

1820

Elizabeth Hopkins

Trade directory

1822

Elizabeth Hopkins advertising carriers to London on Weds & Sat at noon.

Newspaper

1830

Benjamin Watts

Trade directory

1832

The Tetbury Troop [of Yeomanry Cavalry] met at the inn where they were supplied with a ‘bountiful and tasteful repast’ by mine host who was a member of the corps.  Apparently this comprised delicacies of the season, and the choicest wines.

Newspaper

1838

Thomas Witchell owned property occupied by Benjamin Watts

Valuation survey

1839

used for property auctions

Newspaper

1844

Benjamin Watts, also the excise office

Trade directory

1850

premises used for auction of property

Newspaper

1852

Hannah Watts

Trade directory

1859

James Webb

Trade directory

1860

James Webb was the occupier of the property owned by Thomas Witchell

P328/1 parish records

1871

Mr James Webb

Trade directory

1876

James Webb

Trade directory

1885

Edwin Webb

Trade directory

1891

Edwin Webb was the licensee of the free alehouse

Licensing Act printed volume

1903

Edwin Webb was the owner and licensee of the free alehouse.  It opened 7 days a week until 11pm.

Licensing Act printed volume


1907

April Edwin Webb died after a long and lingering illness, he succeeded his father as the landlord many years ago.

Newspaper

1907

28 August Talbot to be auctioned on instructions of executors of Edwin Webb’s estate

Newspaper

1911

Henry Eddols

Trade directory

1914

Talbot Family & Commercial Hotel & Posting House (Henry Eddels proprietor) Market Place

Advert

1915

Land Valuation survey owned by Cirencester Brewery, occupied by Henry Eddels,

Land Valuation survey

1924

Percy Holloway

Trade directory advert

1930

sold to Warns for £2000

Land Valuation survey

1934

owned by the Stroud Brewery and a skittle alley added

Planning notice

1939

Albert and Kate Swann

1939 register

1985

Roy Speaks

GIAS article




Two old photographs of The Talbot Hotel.  The left dates from 1923 and the right is from the 1960s.  Note the window of the adjacent building and how it changes from a bow window to a smaller sash window in the later image.