St Saviours was built in 1848 and designed by Samuel Whitfield Daukes (1811-1880), who also designed the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester.
It was originally intended as a little church for the poor, and was built on the instigation of Father Charles Lowder, the high church curate who later became known and respected as vicar in the East London Docks. Funding was provided by a charity fund and grants from Church societies.
The design is of a High Church style, with Tractarian Screen, long chancel and an altar raised on many steps with a reredos by Pugin. The glass is by O'Connor, there is a built-in pulpit and pews with poppy heads.
On Wednesday 23rd August 1848 the church was consecrated by the Bishop and other clerical dignitaries from the diocese. The Rev.Frampton preached the sermon at the morning service and the incumbent of Cirencester, the Rev. W.F.Powell preached in the evening. Both services were fully attended. After the service about 160 guests consisting of the bishop, clergy, parishioners, neighbouring gentry were entertained by the vicar. The children from the schools, numbered nearly 300, had tea and buns and workmen and others connected with the building had a supper in the evening. A full report can be read in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 31/8/1848 p.3 which also gives a very descriptive account of the newly built church.
On 8th October 1914 a new portion of the burial ground was formally consecrated by the Bishop - the service was described as a most interesting and impressive one by the reporter, in the Gloucestershire Chronicle 10/10/1914 p.7.
The church is now redundant, however if you find it open it is well worth visiting for the lovely architectural features still on show. There is a particularly fine light in the centre of the building.
[taken from Country Life 13 December 1973]