1363 Jun 30th licence for 20 marks paid to the king by Walter Walter of Tetbury, John of Weston, Ralph Hayle and John of Caldebourn of Tetbury for the alienation in mortmain by them of 24 messuages and 60 acres of land in Tettebury to a chaplain to celebrate divine service daily in the parish church of tettebury at the altar of St Mary for the good estate of the king and Queen Philippa for their souls when they shall have departed this life and for the souls of Peter of Brewys, Agnes his wife and Thomas their son. [Calendar Patent Rolls Edw.iii v.12 1.377]
1563 Walter Romney and Thomas Mercer, churchwardens, and parishioners William Rumney, Richard Noris, John Savage present [to the Bishops Court] that the vicar had two benefices - Tetbury and Rancombe [Rendcombe?] nevertheless they say that they have divine service at due tyme. Those that had not received communion these months were Robert Grene, Thomas Horte, Edward Perstowe, John Howlane who also doesn't attend church, Robert Goosmore, Hughe Mowson, John Longston, Agnes Allen, Elizabeth Dibbull, Edward Harvey and Thomas Peerse. Edward Harvey was also a common drunkard. The Vicar had not preached against the usurped power of the bishop of Rome in his open sermons.
1807 by his will Mr Thomas Alexander, schoolmaster of Tetbury, bequeathed his property to various charities, among which he ordered a bible to be given to every couple that was married at Tetbury church. [3/1/1807 Staffordshire Advertiser p.4]
Monumental Inscriptions can also be searched from the parish church website
The current cockerel displayed on the left, and the former with a plaque on the right. The plaque reads 'The original weathervane cockerel mast and cross which was removed in 1893 when the spire was rebuilt. The cockerel is the symbol of Peter's betrayal.'