Appeared in 1594 survey of the town, making it one of the oldest streets in the town, and was also known as Malmesbury Street at one time.
Bull Court and Ashbee Court were off Silver Street
1594 North side of Silver Street - William Chapman; Henry Dant [heirs of]; George Escourt; Anthony Stratforde;
Sale of Valuable Freehold premises by auction 17/12/1879
Lot 1 - all those desirable premises consisting of shop, with dwelling house attached, most centrally situated in Silver Street and facing the Market Place now or lately in the occupation of Mr W.W.Baker, saddler and harness maker etc.
The business portion comprised large shop with frontage on to the street, and above two floors of spacious workshops and warerooms, well adapted for an extensive trade.
The house contained two sitting rooms and five bedrooms with large attic over, kitchens, scullery and outhouses, with dry and extensive cellarage. The stabling consisted of one stall, two loose boxes and saddle room.
The gardens to the rear occupied nearly half an acre and were very productive. Three good wells of water were on the property.
All was freehold and absolutely without encumberances. Trade fixtures, gas fittings, venetian and wire blinds were available on valuation.
[Wiltshire and Gloucestershire Standard 6/16/1879 p.1]
Auctioneers Fielder, Rich & Son were to hold an auction at the White Hart on 27th July under instruction from the estate of the late Charles Brown. Amongst the property were properties on Silver Street:
Lot 4 - two messuages or dwelling houses with garden and conservatory situate in Silver Street and now in the occupation of Mr Ovens and Mr B.Drew at £27 per annum.
Lot 5 - six cottages also situate in Silver Street, five of which are in the occupation of William Baker, Sarah Compton, James White, Alfred Abbey and John Lane. One is vacant. The five tenanted cottages produce a gross rental of £24 12s. Three of these cottages are held on weekly the other two on quarterly tenancies.
[8/7/1886 Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette p.2 col.b]
C.F.Moore had received instructions to sell a substantially built freehold dwelling house, shop and premises by auction at the Talbot Hotel on 13th May. 'The valuable stone built and stone tiles freehold dwelling house with shop and premises situate in Silver Street near to the G.W.Railway Station and for many years in the occupation of the late Mr George Fowler in carrying on the business of a cabinet maker. The house contains: front shop [20ft by 12ft], small hall, sitting room large kitchen, pantry, back kitchen, and large store house. Showroom [62ft by 12ft], with spacious storeroom and workshop above. Drawing room, small sitting room, 4 bedrooms and dressing room. There is a side entrance with a passage leading into a courtyard and at the rear is a capital productive garden, well stocked with choice fruit trees and greenhouse. Early possession can be given.'
[9/5/1908 Cheltenham Chronicle p.1 col.c]
A recruiting depot in charge of Company sergt.Major W.H.Haynes has been opened at his premises in Silver Street. Several young men of the town had responded to an invitation to join the army.
[15/8/1914 Gloucester Journal p.7 col.f]
TETBURY MAN'S RECORD - SIXTY YEARS WITH ONE FIRM
Mr James Williams of Silver Street yesterday celebrated a double event in the form of having reached his 74th birthday and also the 60th year of continuous employment in one firm. On his 14th birthday Mr Williams started a seven years' apprenticeship as a general smith in the workshops of Mr J.W.Gardner, agricultural engineer and ironmonger, and yesterday Mr Williams was using the same forge and the same bellows as were in use when he started work 60 years previously. The business passed some 22 years ago into the possession of Messers Munday and Fowler Ltd., his present employers. Mr Williams is recognised as the most skilled locksmith in the neighbourhood and he estimated that the number of keys he has made for all sorts of locks must amount to several thousands. He still enjoys comparatively good health and except for one period of six months in hospital through blood poisoning his long term of service has not been interrupted by serious illness or mishap.
[Gloucester Citizen - Thursday 10 January 1935 p.2 col.c]
Conversion of house into two flats, 43 Silver Street; owner: Sir Walter Preston; agent: W. E. Anderson, Cheltenham
Gloucestershire Archives ref.DA 36/710/2/82
Additions/alterations to drainage, The Fox Inn, Silver Street (plans); owner: Stroud Brewery
Gloucestershire Archives ref.DA 36/710/2/140
W.C. & bathroom, 33 Silver Street (plans); owner: Sir. W. Preston; architect: W. E. Ellery Anderson
Gloucestershire Archives ref.DA 36/710/2/145
Wash-houses, 42 & 44 Silver Street (plans); owner: Feofees of Tetbury; agent: R. Cox
Gloucestershire Archives ref.DA 36/710/2/150
Conversion of 6 Silver Street into house, lock-up shop and club for British Legion. See also architect's letter 189 (plans); owner: British Legion, Tetbury Branch; architect: E. Cole
Gloucestershire Archives ref.DA 36/710/2/191
Conversion of rooms into flat, The Surgery, Silver Street.; owner: Drs. Braybrooke and Hardie; agent: Holborow & Sons
Gloucestershire Archives ref.DA 36/710/2/357