The Salvation Army set up a branch in Tetbury in 1884. Some of the ‘soldiers’ listed in the War Cry of 1885 were William Bignell, an agricultural labourer from Harper Street, Mrs Cooley, wife of Isaac, ‘brother’ Fisher [either William or Frederick] who ran an outfitters on Church Street, Mrs Millard, wife of Aaron, and John Smith, a labourer aged 22. A false charge of rape was aimed at William Smith, but he was found not guilty, and complained the charges were levied against him because he belonged to the Army.
The Salvation Army hall was located initially in The Chipping. By 1890 they were no longer in the town but returned in the 1920s, to a hut located at the junction of Cottons Lane and West [Harper] Street.
A visiting detachment with small brass band, from the Sherston branch paraded to Tetbury on 24th November 1883 and held an open air meeting on The Chipping after parading around the street. They received some verbal abuse from residents which resulted in a hearing at the town Petty Sessions. Isaac Cooley was called as a witness but insufficient evidence led to the case being dismissed.
Another member, James Hayes was assaulted whilst at a meeting on The Chipping in February 1884. In March Ellen Cooley was assaulted by her neighbour following a dispute over the Army. Later in the year more cases appeared in front of the Petty Sessions - James Nurdin obstructing the highway on Market Place in connection with the Army; fighting between two men, one of whom was a member of the Army (William Cox).
Captain Wick of Highbridge, Somerset was removing to Tetbury -was this to take charge of the SA in the town?
Cheltenham Chronicle 21/3/1925 reported on the efforts of the Cirencester and Tetbury Corps of the Salvation Army who, through self denial, had raised £128+ - their target was £84.
In June several members of the Tetbury Corps attended at lecture and tea at Cirencester.
Cheltenham Chronicle 10/4/1926 p.15 a report on the opening of Tetbury's New Salvation Hall:
Formal Opening Ceremony
The recently formed Tetbury Corps of the Salvation Army has been successful in building a new hall for its indoor services. The building, which will seat about 130, is situate in West Street and during Easter it was formally opened by Mr Percy Pelly (The Priory) who was supported by Major G.Lowsley-Williams, Mr H.G.Harris (Chairman do the Urban Council) etc. Special services were held during the weekend and on Monday, the Bath Young People's Band being present throughout.
In July a fundraising effort towards the hall aimed to raise £100 by a sale of work held over two days.
A prize giving for the Sunday School in January 1927 reported that the number had grown to 70 scholars in a very short time.
Captain Skinner led the Christmas service at the Baptist chapel.
May - announced that Captain Robinson, who had been in charge of the Tetbury corps for sometime was to take charge at Keynsham. He had married Capt. Edith Whiteman at the congregational church in the town and a banquet was held at the army hall.
July - children of the corps went by motor coach to Weston super Mare
30 people were entertained to dinner at the Salvation Army Hall on Boxing Day 1933. a programme of Salvation Army gramophone records was given. Captain Kirkwood, the commanding officer, with other members of local corps and friends had charge of the catering
Wilts & Glos Standard 6/1/1934
Capt Peek of Tetbury to take charge of a corp in Shepton Mallet, Somerset