Nonconformist: meeting house licenses were granted by the County Quarter Sessions and gave permission for a group of worshippers to meet outside of the Church of England. These entries below were recorded in the Hockaday Abstracts at Gloucestershire Archives and are the entries from the Bishops administration records indicating the granting of licenses for meeting places.
1758 a certificate that the dissenting subjects called congregational intended to hold a meeting at a house of Edward Brown and late in the occupation of the Rev. Mr. David Edwards situated on The Green
1765 a certificate that the dissenting subjects called independents intend to hold a meeting in the dwelling house of Cove Lloyd, woolstapler being in a street called Gloucester Street
1766 a certificate presented by the dissenting denomination for a dwelling house belonging to Thomas Barrow, a woolcomber, on the Green; also the house of Joseph Ayre, gentleman on Gumstool Street; also at a meeting house situate and standing at the bottom of a hill near Chipping Croft
1777 a certificate presented by the dissenting subjects called baptist denomination in house erected for religious worship in a court on Church Street, signed by Joseph Burchell, Thomas West, Thomas Wear, Nathaniel Overbury, William Overbury and John Overbury
1779 a certificate presented by the independents for meeting in the house of Martin Lloyd
1780 a certificate presented by the independents for meeting in a house lately occupied by John Giles
1816 a certificate presented to the Bishop of Gloucester by Martin Lloyd, woolcomber, Jeremiah Grant, Milburn Crew, Thomas Phillips and William Keynton that a tenement being part of a building in Long Street, now in occupation of Thomas Young to be used by protestant dissenters.
1823 a certificate presented to the Bishop of Gloucester for a house and premises adjoining the premises of Samuel Lamb in the joint occupation of Samuel Lamb and John Bigland to be used by the tent methodists
1826 a certificate presented to the Bishop of Gloucester for a house and premises in Cirencester Street by Thomas Ashton, minister, Wm Dyke, Thomas Trotman, Edward Turrell, all of Tetbury, to be used as a place of religious worship by protestant dissenters
1844 a local branch of the Latter Day Saints [or Mormons] was meeting in Harper Street, with about 43 local members, some of whom will have emigrated to Utah. The meetings ended in 1898.
1851 religious census taken on 30th March listed the following congregations meeting in the Tetbury Union [therefore not just the town but villages comprising the poor law union]. A full report of this census was published in 1854 and can be either read online.
KEY TO TABLE BELOW:
A number of places of worship
B number of sittings - free
C number of sittings - appropriated
D number attending morning worship
E number attending afternoon worship
F number attending evening worship
Church of England
Society of Friends
Latter Day Saints