Home Timeline People Places Life

PRINCE OF WALES

Situated on West Street, formerly number 79 Harper Street and known by locals as the Drum and Monkey, it narrowly missed total demolition in the 1960's when part of the street was razed to the ground with plans to rebuild.  The total redevelopment of the street never took place thus those properties which remained were kept and have since been done up to modern standards. Although the inn was not totally demolished in the 1960's some redevelopment took place in the late 1990's and what is in place now is a tidy row of cottages called Prince of Wales Row in honour of the former inn.  

1871

George Cull ‘Plasterer & beerhouse keeper’

Census

1881

George Cull, wife Elizabeth and neice of 11 years old

Census

1884

Will of William George Wear, he leaves the Prince of Wales to son of the same name

Probate copy of will

1884

James Horton a former groom with wife Elizabeth. [newspaper rpt of court case of a crime which gives name as Hawker but earlier reports give Horton]

Newspaper

1885

James Horton

Trade directory

1887

James Horton

Trade directory

1891

landlord James Horton beerhouse tied to Messrs Cook, owned by WG Weare; annual lease

Licensing Act printed volume

1894

J.Horton

Trade directory

1896

Mrs Horton

Trade directory

1897

James Horton died 20/4/1897; in his will – 'innkeeper of Harper Street'; 4 cottages left to widow

Probate copy of will

1897

Mrs Horton Elizabeth

Trade directory

1899

August licensing sessions: following the death of a man, Albert Southwood due to a disturbance at the inn the licensing committee recommended a change of licensee as the current holder was unfit to manage the rough clientele the inn attracted.  A written undertaking had been received that the license would be given up for a tenant more suitable for the role.

Newspaper; more information here

1900

May: Charles Keedwell, a former soldier in yeomanry from St Briavels

Parish Register entry for baptism of daughter

1902

Charles Keedwell

Trade directory

1903

Charles James Keedwell

Trade directory

1903

Charles James Keedwell landlord of beerhouse tied to Cooks on quarterly lease, owned by Misses Weare;  1 conviction; 3 tranfers in last 5 years; closing 11pm; he then moved to the Three cocks

Licensing Act printed volume

1906

John Oates

Trade directory

1907

John Oates

Trade directory

1910

John Oates was assaulted and beaten by a hawker of no fixed abode, who was sent to prison for a month.  Mrs Oates was also assaulted by the prisoner's wife who was then imprisoned for three weeks.

Newspaper

1911

John & Annie Oates, public house keeper

Census

1914

J Oates [TD]

Trade directory

1915

J Oates occupier, licensed house, 2 cottages and land ‘Prince of Wales Inn’ gross value £775, owned by Cooks who sold to Stroud Brewery 1913

Land Valuation Survey

1916

John Oates died, and buried in February age 55


1916

March licence transferred to Henry Edward Cull following death of the previous licensee, Mr Oates. Henry was from Harper Street and married to Ellen Elliots also of Harper Street.

Newspaper

1935

George Pullie, wife Ellen


1939

George Pullie or Pulley [Died 1960 at 85 West Street born 1876; wife Ellen [1886-1961]; was also at Wotton under Edge as a publican]


1939 National Survey

1952

H Cull died but had already moved to Bath Road by 1939


1962

planning permission granted to add a toilet and improve the bar facilities

Planning committee archive

1967

Skittle alley erected; also construction of carpark and vehicular access

Planning committee archive


The Dyer family were the final landlords of the pub


1999

application to convert former public house into two dwellings and new sympathetic dwellings on the car park was submitted

Planning committee archive

2000

permission was granted in February for the conversion and the erection of four dwellings on the former carpark.

Planning committee archive

Prince of Wales Row