Prince of Wales - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

Prince of Wales

PLACES > Buildings > Inns
Situated on West Street, formerly number 79 Harper Street and known by locals as the Drum and Monkey, it narrowly missed total demolition in the 1960's when part of the street was razed to the ground with plans to rebuild. The total redevelopment of the street never took place thus those properties which remained were kept and have since been done up to modern standards. Although the inn was not totally demolished in the 1960's some redevelopment took place in the late 1990's and what is in place now is a tidy row of cottages called Prince of Wales Row in honour of the former inn.
1871
George Cull ‘Plasterer & beerhouse keeper’
1871 Census
1881
George Cull, wife Elizabeth and neice of 11 years old
1881 Census
1884
Will of William George Wear, he leaves the Prince of Wales to son of the same name
Probate copy of will
1884
James Horton a former groom with wife Elizabeth. (newspaper rpt of court case of a crime which gives name as Hawker but earlier reports give Horton)
Newspaper
1885-1887
James Horton
Trade directories
1891
landlord James Horton beerhouse tied to Messrs Cook, owned by WG Weare; annual lease
Licensing Act printed volume
1894
J.Horton
Trade directory
1896
Mrs Horton
Trade directory
1897
James Horton died 20/4/1897; in his will – 'innkeeper of Harper Street'; 4 cottages left to widow
Probate copy of will
1897
Mrs Elizabeth Horton
Trade directory
1899
August licensing sessions: following the death of a man, Albert Southwood due to a disturbance at the inn the licensing committee recommended a change of licensee as the current holder was unfit to manage the rough clientele the inn attracted. A written undertaking had been received that the license would be given up for a tenant more suitable for the role.
Newspaper
1900
May: Charles Keedwell, a former soldier in yeomanry from St Briavels
Parish Register entry for baptism of daughter
1902
Charles Keedwell
Trade directory
1903
Charles James Keedwell
Trade directory
1903
Charles James Keedwell landlord of beerhouse tied to Cooks on quarterly lease, owned by Misses Weare; 1 conviction; 3 tranfers in last 5 years; closing 11pm; he then moved to the Three Cocks
Licensing Act printed volume
1906-1907
John Oates
Trade directories
1910
John Oates was assaulted and beaten by a hawker of no fixed abode, who was sent to prison for a month. Mrs Oates was also assaulted by the prisoner's wife who was then imprisoned for three weeks.
Newspaper
1911
John & Annie Oates, public house keeper
1911 Census
1914
J Oates
Trade directory
1915
J Oates occupier, licensed house, 2 cottages and land ‘Prince of Wales Inn’ gross value £775, owned by Cooks who sold to Stroud Brewery 1913
Land Valuation Survey
1916
John Oates died, and buried in February age 55

1916
March licence transferred to Henry Edward Cull following death of the previous licensee, Mr Oates. Henry was from Harper Street and married to Ellen Elliots also of Harper Street.
Newspaper
1935
George Pullie, wife Ellen

1939
George Pullie or Pulley (Died 1960 at 85 West Street born 1876; wife Ellen [1886-1961]; was also at Wotton under Edge as a publican)
1939 National Survey
1952
H Cull died but had already moved to Bath Road by 1939 (see 1916 entry)

1962
planning permission granted to add a toilet and improve the bar facilities
Planning committee archive
1967
Skittle alley erected; also construction of carpark and vehicular access
The Dyer family were the final landlords of the pub
Planning committee archive
1999
application to convert former public house into two dwellings and new sympathetic dwellings on the car park was submitted
Planning committee archive
2000
permission was granted in February for the conversion and the erection of four dwellings on the former carpark.
Planning committee archive
Back to content