Home Timeline People Places Life

ORMOND’S HEAD

The Ormond's Head is thought to occupy a building dating from the 1400s. The Jacobites used to meet in the inn to drink the toast of the Pretender,  Lord Ormond was a Jacobite supporter and it is thought that the inn was named in memory of him.


It was a popular coaching inn and housed large stables at the rear, with resident blacksmith.

The inn was used by the American army during the second World War, as they prepared for the Normandy landings.

Alternative names have been the ‘Blue House’ and the ‘Gentle Gardener’


1735

occupier to pay rates [no name given]


1742

was either The Lamb or King & Queen and became Ormond’s Head by this year


1748

Mrs Hill owner


1791

was one of principal inns

1791 Universal Directory

1794

Friendly Society meeting


1808

March advert for sale of premises, details from Mr Ford on the premises; readvertised in August with immediate occupation or at Michaelmas

Gloucester Journal Newspaper

1820

James Ashbee, also a mason

Trade directory

1822

James Ashbee

Trade directory

1824

James Ashbee’s will freehold messuage tenement or inn situate in the Long Street Tetbury known by the name of The Ormonds Head which he had purchased lately off Thomas Hill

Gloucestershire Archives GDR1824/24

1830

Lydia Ashbee

Trade directory

1830

Mr J.Maggs married Miss Ashbee, youngest daughter of Mrs Ashbee of the Ormonds Head

Newspaper

1838

Joseph Maggs owner and occupier [hee was also a hat maker]

Valuation survey

1844

a ball given by the Oddfellows of the Loyal Dolphin Lodge was to be held for the benefit of the widows and orphans fund, cost for gents 5 shillings, ladies 3 shillings 6 pence

Newspaper

1844

Joseph Maggs

Trade directory

1849

Joseph Maggs

Trade directory

1850

Joseph Maggs

Trade directory

1852

Joseph Maggs

Trade directory

1857

July 2 aged 51 Joseph Maggs landlord of the Ormonds Head died

Newspaper

1859

Ann Maggs

Trade directory

1860

Ann Maggs

Trade directory

1863

Ann Maggs

Trade directory

1867

August 25 Ann Maggs of the Ormonds Head died

Newspaper

1870

Richard Edwards

Trade directory

1873

As part of the annual Flower show in August balls were held for workers, the Ormonds Head hosting the gentlemen’s servants.  The White Hart held one for farmers sons and daughters in the neighbourhood.


Newspaper

1876

Richard Edwards & agent for Allsopp's ales

Trade directory

1880

Court Dolphin A.O.F. formed in 1862 had the Ormonds Head as it’s registered address

Newspaper

1881

John England [moved to Bath, Somerset shortly after birth of daughter in 1882]

1881 census

1885

Joseph Clark

Trade directory

1891

old building frontage demolished and a more modern hotel front was built


1891

The Tetbury Cycling Club had their headquarters at the inn, with club rides starting here

Newspaper

1891

May: Emily Maggs [Miss]sold to Nailsworth Brewery Company


1891

William Dyke landlord of Nailsworth Brewery Co. owned alehouse, tied on annual lease, 1 transfer in previous year

Licensing Act printed volume

1894

December advert for Ormonds Head Hotel and Posting House for immediate possession if required

Newspaper

1897

George Holloway, Ormonds Head Hotel & Auctioneer

Trade directory

1902

March Mr C.Soper of the Ormonds Head died after an accident, having been landlord for about four years

Newspaper

1903

Frank Butler Soper landlord of the Nailsworth Brewery Co. owned alehouse on an annual lease, 3 transfers in past year, closing at 11pm

Licensing Act printed volume


1906

Oxford Extending lectures scheme held lectures on premises

Newspaper

1908

Oxford Extending lectures scheme held lectures on premises

Newspaper

1910

Concert held on the premises for the Tetbury Lodge of the Cirencester Working Men’s Conservative and Benefit Society who wanted to raise funds for a new society banner

Newspaper

1911

Oxford Extending lectures scheme held lectures on premises

Newspaper

1914

Edgar Rawlings

Trade directory

1926

Ormonds Head Assembly Room used for an open meeting to discuss the opening of a Junior Imperial League branch.

Newspaper

1934

Mr T.A.Burke granted special license for Christmas Eve extended opening

Newspaper

1935

Tom Burke

Trade directory

1935

British Legion dinner held

Newspaper

1936

Thomas Archibald Burke fined for serving alcohol to a child – his defence was that he was a police pensioner who had been out of the country for 25 years and was out of touch with the law.

Newspaper

1940s

Orderly room for ‘A’ company of American forces as part of the Normandy Landings.


C20

non dated advert cites Major Hancock as proprietor and another Mrs Annie Douglas