Ormond's Head - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

Ormond's Head

PLACES > Buildings > Inns
The Ormond's Head is thought to occupy a building dating from the 1400s. The Jacobites used to meet in the inn to drink the toast of the Pretender.  Lord Ormond was a Jacobite supporter and it is thought that the inn was named in memory of him.
It was a popular coaching inn and housed large stables at the rear, with resident blacksmith.
The inn was used by the American army during the second World War, as they prepared for the Normandy landings.
1735
occupier to pay rates [no name given]

1742
was either The Lamb or King & Queen and became Ormond’s Head by this year

1748
Mrs Hill owner

1791
was one of principal inns
1791 Universal Directory
1794
Friendly Society meeting

1808
March advert for sale of premises, details from Mr Ford on the premises; readvertised in August with immediate occupation or at Michaelmas
Gloucester Journal Newspaper
1820
James Ashbee, also a mason
Trade directory
1822
James Ashbee
Trade directory
1824
James Ashbee’s will freehold messuage tenement or inn situate in the Long Street Tetbury known by the name of The Ormonds Head which he had purchased lately off Thomas Hill
Gloucestershire Archives ref.GDR1824/24
1830
Lydia Ashbee
Trade directory
1830
Mr J.Maggs married Miss Ashbee, youngest daughter of Mrs Ashbee of the Ormonds Head
Newspaper
1838
Joseph Maggs owner and occupier (he was also a hat maker)
Valuation survey
1844
a ball given by the Oddfellows of the Loyal Dolphin Lodge was to be held for the benefit of the widows and orphans fund, cost for gents 5 shillings, ladies 3 shillings 6 pence
Newspaper
1844-1852
Joseph Maggs
Trade directories
1857
July 2 aged 51 Joseph Maggs landlord of the Ormonds Head died
Newspaper
1859-1863
Ann Maggs
Trade directories
1867
August 25 Ann Maggs of the Ormonds Head died
Newspaper
1870
Richard Edwards
Trade directory
1873
As part of the annual Flower show in August balls were held for workers, the Ormonds Head hosting the gentlemen’s servants. The White Hart held one for farmers sons and daughters in the neighbourhood.
Newspaper
1876
Richard Edwards & agent for Allsopp's ales
Trade directory
1880
Court Dolphin A.O.F. formed in 1862 had the Ormonds Head as it’s registered address
Newspaper
1881
John England (moved to Bath, Somerset shortly after birth of daughter in 1882)
1881 census
1885
Joseph Clark
Trade directory
1891
old building frontage demolished and a more modern hotel front was built

1891
The Tetbury Cycling Club had their headquarters at the inn, with club rides starting here
Newspaper
1891
May: Emily Maggs [Miss]sold to Nailsworth Brewery Company

1891
William Dyke landlord of Nailsworth Brewery Co. owned alehouse, tied on annual lease, 1 transfer in previous year
Licensing Act printed volume
1894
December advert for Ormonds Head Hotel and Posting House for immediate possession if required
Newspaper
1897
George Holloway, Ormonds Head Hotel & Auctioneer
Trade directory
1902
March Mr C.Soper of the Ormonds Head died after an accident, having been landlord for about four years
Newspaper
1903
Frank Butler Soper landlord of the Nailsworth Brewery Co. owned alehouse on an annual lease, 3 transfers in past year, closing at 11pm
Licensing Act printed volume
1906
Oxford Extending lectures scheme held lectures on premises
Newspaper
1908
Oxford Extending lectures scheme held lectures on premises
Newspaper
1910
Concert held on the premises for the Tetbury Lodge of the Cirencester Working Men’s Conservative and Benefit Society who wanted to raise funds for a new society banner
Newspaper
1911
Oxford Extending lectures scheme held lectures on premises
Newspaper
1914
Edgar Rawlings
Trade directory
1926
Ormonds Head Assembly Room used for an open meeting to discuss the opening of a Junior Imperial League branch
Newspaper
1934
Mr T.A.Burke granted special license for Christmas Eve extended opening
Newspaper
1935
Tom Burke
Trade directory
1935
British Legion dinner held
Newspaper
1936
Thomas Archibald Burke fined for serving alcohol to a child – his defence was that he was a police pensioner who had been out of the country for 25 years and was out of touch with the law
Newspaper
1940s
Orderly room for ‘A’ company of American forces as part of the Normandy Landings

C20th
non dated advert cites Major Hancock as proprietor and another Mrs Annie Douglas
Magazine
Back to content