Home Timeline People Places Life

The Jolly Butchers

The earliest part of the Tolsey dates from the 16th Century and the most recent (formerly part of an inn known as the Three Jolly Butchers) dates from the 18th Century.


1784

John Winterson

1794

poor rates ‘occupier of Jolly Butchers’ – no names

1800

advert for the sale of a moiety [or half part] of the property called the Jolly Butchers

1802

poor rates entry ‘half of Jolly Butchers’ occupied by J.Street

1820

Joseph Millard

1822

Jsp Millar - coach services running from the Jolly Butchers advertised:

Martin Taylors caravans to Bath on Tues @ 9;

Mrs Whites wagon  Mon Thurs pm;

Cirencester Martin Taylor Wed 7;

Oxford Thomas Gilkes waggons Fri 2pm

1830

Jsp Millard (connected to the Warn family of the Barton Brewery)

1833

July Mrs Millard, wife of Joseph, died suddenly

1838

Joseph Millar [sic] owner, James Slatter tenant of inn, garden and stables

1840

Joseph Millard died

1834

James Slatter of Walcott, Bath married Mary Ann Millard

1844

James Slatter was involved in a serious accident following a return journey from Gloucester, in a light cart or trap which overturned near to Nailsworth. He was found under the cart ‘insensible’ and appeared to have been there sometime.  He was conveyed to Tetbury and remained in a critical condition.

1852

James Slatter [died between 1852-1856]

1856

Mrs M.A. Slatter

1859

Mary Ann Slatter

1860

George White

1863

John Smith

1865-1876

George White [1829-1917 born Hinton]

1878

George White tenant of inn owned by Mr Duck [poor rates]

1879

George White fined £1 for allowing drunkenness on his premises.

1885

George White

1891

LIC ACT George White tied alehouse owned by Esau Duck, annual tenancy

1894

George White

1897

John Agg [1864-  born Great Rissington]

1900

a farewell dinner was held by the Tetbury Troop, Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, for Sgt Major Gregory who was going to fight in South Africa with the Imperial Yeomanry.  The evening was presided over by Trooper W.Witchell.

1901-1902

John Agg, also omnibus operator

1903

LIC ACT John Agg tenant of tied alehouse on a quarterly lease from Messr Duck & Reed with 11pm closing.

1904

April an advert for the inn to be let by Duck and Reed [formerly Cross Hayes Brewery], Malmesbury.  The inn offered good stabling.

1905

manageress was Mrs Marriott and licensee Thomas Reed

1907

Mrs Marriott

1907

The license renewal became likely to not be renewed at some time in the future.

1909

Frederick William Faulkner; owners were the trustees of the estate of the late Esau Duck and Frederick Faulkner.  Esau, a brewer from Wiltshire, died in 1908 leaving an estate valued in excess of £54k.  Frederick Faulkner was born c.1870 Herefordshire.  

1909

February annual licensing committee renewed licenses on all but four licensed premises in the town, one of these being the Jolly Butchers. At this time the Jolly Butchers was the only one to be renewed.

1910

Mr Frederick William Faulkner

1915

October a temporary transfer of the license to Nehemiah Adlam whilst Mr Faulkner was away with the army.

1915

Frederick James Horton ‘boots’ was wounded by a travelling saddler or harness maker, other reports name him a lodger; landlady Mrs Nina Faulkner was also injured.  Mr Faulkner was away serving with the army. Nina [or Nanny] moved to Warwickshire shortly after Frederick signed up for service in June 1915 with the Worcestershire Regiment.  Intended to work as a furniture salesman post discharge.

1920

Cross Hayes brewery and their inns bought by Stroud Brewery. Jolly Butchers was sold for £620.


1923

Mr Adlam applied for an alteration to the licence so that he would be exempt from closure for two hours on market days, as several other premises had been granted such exemptions.  He stated that on the last  market day he had to turn 21 men out.  Permission was not granted.

1925

Nehemiah Adlam, alehouse

1925

the licence was extinguished with no appeal from either the tenant or owner of the inn.

1926

license renewal provisional with the expectation that it wouldn’t be renewed and compensation would be paid by the County Licensing Committee. Compensation offered was £161 to licensee Nehemiah Adlam, and £1016 to owners Stroud Brewery.

1928

closed by this year

1935

Nehemiah Adlam former licensee died in Tetbury.  Prior to coming to the town he worked for H.M. Prisons as a warder.

1902 trade directory entry showing timetable of journeys to Malmesbury