Jolly Butchers - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

Jolly Butchers

PLACES > Buildings > Inns
The earliest part of the Tolsey dates from the 16th Century and the most recent (formerly part of an inn known as the Three Jolly Butchers) dates from the 18th Century.
1784
John Winterson
1794
poor rates ‘occupier of Jolly Butchers’ – no names
1800
advert for the sale of a moiety [or half part] of the property called the Jolly Butchers
1802
poor rates entry ‘half of Jolly Butchers’ occupied by J.Street
1820
Joseph Millard
1822
Jsp Millar - coach services running from the Jolly Butchers advertised:
                       Martin Taylors caravans to Bath on Tues @ 9;
                       Mrs Whites wagon Mon Thurs pm;
                       Cirencester Martin Taylor Wed 7;
                       Oxford Thomas Gilkes waggons Fri 2pm
1830
Jsp Millard (connected to the Warn family of the Barton Brewery)
1833
July Mrs Millard, wife of Joseph, died suddenly
1834
James Slatter of Walcott, Bath married Mary Ann Millard
1838
Joseph Millar [sic] owner, James Slatter tenant of inn, garden and stables
1840
Joseph Millard died
1844
James Slatter was involved in a serious accident following a return journey from Gloucester, in a light cart or trap which overturned near to Nailsworth. He was found under the cart ‘insensible’ and appeared to have been there sometime. He was conveyed to Tetbury and remained in a critical condition.
1852
James Slatter [died between 1852-1856]
1856
Mrs M.A. Slatter
1859
Mary Ann Slatter
1860
George White
1863
John Smith
1865-1876
George White [1829-1917 born Hinton]
1878
George White tenant of inn owned by Mr Duck [poor rates]
1879
George White fined £1 for allowing drunkenness on his premises
1885
George White
1891
LIC ACT George White tied alehouse owned by Esau Duck, annual tenancy
1894
George White
1897
John Agg [1864- born Great Rissington]
1900
a farewell dinner was held by the Tetbury Troop, Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, for Sgt Major Gregory who was going to fight in South Africa with the Imperial Yeomanry. The evening was presided over by Trooper W.Witchell.
1901-1902
John Agg, also omnibus operator
1903
LIC ACT John Agg tenant of tied alehouse on a quarterly lease from Messr Duck & Reed with 11pm closing.
1904
April an advert for the inn to be let by Duck and Reed [formerly Cross Hayes Brewery], Malmesbury. The inn offered good stabling
1905
manageress was Mrs Marriott and licensee Thomas Reed
1907
Mrs Marriott
1907
The license renewal became likely to not be renewed at some time in the future.
1909
Frederick William Faulkner; owners were the trustees of the estate of the late Esau Duck and Frederick Faulkner. Esau, a brewer from Wiltshire, died in 1908 leaving an estate valued in excess of £54k. Frederick Faulkner was born c.1870 Herefordshire.  
1909
February annual licensing committee renewed licenses on all but four licensed premises in the town, one of these being the Jolly Butchers. At this time the Jolly Butchers was the only one to be renewed.
1910
Mr Frederick William Faulkner
1915
October a temporary transfer of the license to Nehemiah Adlam whilst Mr Faulkner was away with the army.
1915
Frederick James Horton ‘boots’ was wounded by a travelling saddler or harness maker, other reports name him a lodger; landlady Mrs Nina Faulkner was also injured. Mr Faulkner was away serving with the army. Nina [or Nanny] moved to Warwickshire shortly after Frederick signed up for service in June 1915 with the Worcestershire Regiment. Intended to work as a furniture salesman post discharge.
1920
Cross Hayes brewery and their inns bought by Stroud Brewery. Jolly Butchers was sold for £620
1923
Mr Adlam applied for an alteration to the licence so that he would be exempt from closure for two hours on market days, as several other premises had been granted such exemptions. He stated that on the last market day he had to turn 21 men out. Permission was not granted.
1925
Nehemiah Adlam, alehouse
1925
the licence was extinguished with no appeal from either the tenant or owner of the inn.
1926
license renewal provisional with the expectation that it wouldn’t be renewed and compensation would be paid by the County Licensing Committee. Compensation offered was £161 to licensee Nehemiah Adlam, and £1016 to owners Stroud Brewery.
1928
closed by this year
1935
Nehemiah Adlam former licensee died in Tetbury. Prior to coming to the town he worked for H.M. Prisons as a warder.
Back to content