Inns - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

Inns

PLACES > Buildings > Inns
Angel
see also The Crown


1780
William Cox paid 5 shillings land tax
Land tax 1780
Angel Inn
1793
at the house of Mr William Coxe
Newspaper
Beare
1627
February 2 - two soldiers billeted here were Jasper Cosby and James Baker







Bull
1692
Silver Street

Bull Inn
1771
Twenty Pounds Annuity Society was meeting at the Bull Inn


1780
Stephen Jones 'for ye bull inn & stock' 0.18.8
Land tax 1780

1791
listed as one of the principal inns
Universal Directory

1794
Mrs Watkins paid rates, 'greatest part void'
Parish Rates
Catherine Wheel
1459
Cirencester Street


1701
on Long Street





Gumstool Hill

Crown
1751
Silver Street (name taken by the Angel by mid C19th)







Gentle Gardener


George
1627
February 2nd two soldiers billeted here were Symon Wilshere and John Howard

George Inn
1740
in existence


1780
Mr Cope paid for ye George Inn 1.4.6
Land tax 1780

1791
William Cope, also paid rates in 1794


1791
listed as one of the principal inns - Church Street
Universal Directory



Horse Collar
1820
John Warn & maltster


1822
John Warn


1852
Mary Warn

Horseshoe
1719
became The Mitre by this date - Cirencester Street  




Lamb
1696
on Long Street


1787
Ann Witchell of the Lamb guilty of suffering tippling in her house on the Lord's day and other irregularities has consented to pay a fine of £10 to be disposed of as the gentlemen assembled this day at a vestry shall direct in order to prevent a prosecution being commenced against her for the said offences
P328/1 VE Vestry minutes Tetbury
Light Dragoon
1807
Church Street, the premises formerly known as the Red Lion  
Glebe Terrier
Little White Hart
1807
premises formerly known as the little White Hart and next to the Boot Inn and now divided into two tenements
Glebe Terrier
Mason's Arms
1740
Church Street


1794
Mr Carisbrook paid rates of 6 shillings
Parish Rates
Maydenhead
1627
February 2 - two soldiers billeted here Thomas Mannes and Humfry Llangford

Mitre
1719
on the site of The Horseshoe, Cirencester Street

New Inn
1627
February 2nd two soldiers billeted here were Edward Browne and Thomas Bradford

Ormond's Head


The Plough


Portcullis
1627
February 2nd two soldiers billeted here were Anthony Parker and Thomas Williams

Prince and Princess


The Prince of Wales
also known as The Drum and Monkey
Priory Inn
1980s
opened by this date

Queen's Arms
1668
in existence


1699
inhabited by Archibald Johnstone


1760
around this date became stables for a house on The Chipping


1844
John Smith

Red Lion / Red Lyon
1594
Church Street


1610
mentioned in GDR depositions
GDR depositions

1627
February 2nd soldier billeted here was John Tanner


1654
situated on Church Street to the north side of the Three Cups
D587 Box 9 Gloucestershire Archives

1807
premises on Church Street formerly called the Red Lion and now the Light Dragoon in the possession of Edward Aldridge by a lease and let by him to an undertenant
Glebe Terrier
Rose and Crown

Coombers Mead


1800s
reference to an inn of this name on Harper Street appear  in deeds from the early C19th

Royal Oak




also known as The White Hart

Star
1722
on Long Street; innkeeper Mr Thomas
Newspapers Evening Post, Saturday, August 25, 1722
Star Inn
1780
John Hanley paid 0.18.0s
Land Tax
Sun
1748
Silver Street

Swan
1594
Thomas Estcourt
1594 Survey

1603
Edward Escourt [Thomas having been crossed out] for the tenement by the sign of the Swane in the tenure of Jo' Cary
1603 Survey

1627
two soldiers billeted here on 2 February were John Butler and John Brookes


1635-1780
was in the butchers shambles, Church Street


C16th
by the end of this century the inn was on the north side of the Market Place


1807
premises in Butchers Row formerly called the Swan Inn, now divided into small tenements and let by the tenant Thomas Thompson, surgeon to his undertenants  
Glebe Terrier












White Horse
1740s
Long Street

White Lion / White Lyon
1627
February 2 - soldier billeted here was Phillip Parry


1699
on Long Street


1771
Town assembly held here


1780
Mr Savage paid 1.1.0  
Land Tax 1780
Ye Boar's Head
1749-1759
Chipping Lane

Back to content