Home Timeline People Places Life

THE BELL

The Bell was situated at no. 20 The Knapp c.1831-1926 [New Church Street in 1896]


1627

February 2nd two soldiers billeted here were Thomas Cooke and John Lane

1797

Miss Taylor owned the property which was occupied by John Crew

1820

John Crew also a plasterer & tiler

1822-1844

John Crew

1852-1859

George Ford

1863

John Pincott

1870

Edward Howes

1873

Edward Howes also a mason

1885

William Wear

1891

Licensing Acts List of all Licensed Premises: W.G. Weare was tenant with the lease managed by Messrs Cook. Property owner was T.S.Crew. The license was for an alehouse which was tied to Cooks and on an annual lease

1897

Henry Cull and William George Wear listed.

1903

Licensing Acts List of all Licensed Premises: Henry Edward Cull was the tenant with the lease from Messrs N & W Cook. The property owner was still  T.S. Crew. The tenancy agreement was quarterly and closing time was 11pm, seven days a week for the alehouse which was still tied to Cooks.

1925

George Beale