Situated on the west side of Gumstool Hill, has a distinguished left part built in 1741, ashlar faced, of two storeys plus attic, with heavy modillion cornice. Windows with moulded architraves, those on the ground floor with pulvinated friezes and dentil entablatures. The door hood in the plainer right wing is supported by one splendid acanthus carved bracket.
Verey, David; Gloucestershire. - 1 : The Cotswolds; 3rd ed; London : Penguin, 1999; 0140710981
1538 The Crown leased property called Ilbury otherwise the New Grange to Sir Nicholas Poyntz, formerly the property of the dissolved Abbey of Kingswood.
Hockaday Abstracts Tetbury vol.1
The Grey House
the late Miss Jane Golightly, owner, the estate now being wound up was advertised to be sold by auction on 26th March 1952, auctioneers Tuckett & Son, Tetbury, freehold estate consisting of lounge hall, 3 reception rooms, garden room, 7 bed and dressing rooms, bathroom, domestic offices, cellar and a good garden. It was also described as a substantial stone built Cotswold house with stucco finish and stone tiled roof.
20 Bath Road
1878-1928 William Warner. Mr Warner was a noted breeder of cattle at Wesley Farm, and associated with the Tetbury Board of Guardians, the Rural Council and Tetbury Upton Parish Council. He spent over 30 years as a churchwarden at Beverston, which is where he was buried on his death in June 1928 aged 80.
Cheltenham Chronicle - Saturday 16 June 1928 page 12 col.b
a lovely old building hiding a multitude of uses. I was privileged to be shown around as part of a tour organised by BGAS and hosted by HOTS. I particularly liked the old passageway through, you could feel the age in the stonework and woodwork.
The name Norteland was in use in 1560.
Northland Cottage is situated on the main London Road out of Tetbury. In 1841 it was called Northland Lodge and was inhabited by an agricultural labourer Thomas Still and his family.
By 1851 John Large, another agricultural labourer was living there with his family.
In 1861 there are two households there, with the name changed to cottage - had the original lodge been converted into two homesteads? John Large in one, and a widow, Charlotte Timings in the other, with her sisters Eloise (or Eliza?), Frances and sister in law, Harriet. The Large family were in possession of a cottage, and Mrs Timings a house, garden and land. The landlord was John Cook snr.
John Large was still at the cottage in 1881.
Charlottes' father lived in Charlton Kings, which is where she and her sisters lived in 1851. By 1881 she and Frances were living in lodgings in Cheltenham and they both died there in 1886 (Frances aged 90) and 1891 (Charlotte aged 87).
1897 Aubrey Paul Kitcat - an apple named Northland Seedling was raised by AP Kitcat, Northland Cottage, Tetbury around 1930.
2 Northfield Road
for sale following death of owner, Mr A E Osborne
advert 17 April 1948
auction Weds 21 April at Talbot Hotel
The Old Coach House
built around 1870 alongside the large family house next door, both to take advantage of the forthcoming railway line to the Bath Road that never materialised.
The Old Toll House
6 Bath Road
This cottage apparently built c1750-60 but the architectural character appears to be rather later. The road was turnpiked in 1743 but the new bridge built in 1775 must have made the use of this cottage rather difficult and it was superceded in 1821. It is unusual to have two toll houses surviving so close to each other but local rumour says that to avoid the tolls people were cutting through what is now Berrells Road and down Cutwell. The new toll house was built opposite this turning so hoping that the toll avoiders would be caught and duly charged!
14-16 New Church Street
18 The Chipping
An end of terrace house situated in The Chipping, which is a delightful square of mainly 18th Century houses within a short, level walk of the town centre. Overdale has a classically beautiful façade with sash windows and an attractive radial fanlight above the door.
A note in the parish register 1631-1798 states that Mr Sloper's house was built 1766-1767 with The Priory pencilled in next to this.
A natural Cotswold stone detached cottage under a stone tiled roof. The original part of the cottage was believed to have been built around 1860. There is a large extension to the side giving generous living accommodation. The cottage has a wealth of character features such as beams, leaded windows and window seats and a large stone fireplace and hearth.