In 1248 this was the main route from the town, being the Bristol to Cirencester road.
The name of Gumstool Hill probably comes from the Middle age punishment of ducking people who were a bit of a gossip or scold, (in Middle age speak 'gummy'). There was a pond at the bottom of the hill, which was probably used for this punishment. This form of treatment, mainly of women, began in the fifteenth century. A ducking stool was used in 1502.
It is the earliest recorded street in Tetbury and was Cirencester Street in the early thirteenth century. It has also been known as Union Street and Cicester Street.
The survey of 1594 shows a row of nine houses on the north west side of the street that belonged to Queen Elizabeth I. These are in all probability the ones from The Crown downwards.
In the C16th the houses at the bottom led to open fields. The pool at the bottom is known as Horsepool Bottom.
The Angel was in trade on Gumstool Street before 1693, the date on the stone above the former carriage entrance, reads ‘MV1693’. The building was rebuilt in this period and a shoe was found in the fabric of the building, which has been dated from c.1670. This was on display in the bar. The building is gabled and located at the top end of the street, and is now known as The Crown.
On the same side of the street as The Crown was a tavern called the Catherine Wheel, which was recorded as early as 1459. The Queens Arms was in business between 1668-1760, but closed to become stables for a house on The Chipping. The Horseshoe, which adjoined the little market house became The Mitre before 1719. The Prince and Princess opened in 1766. The Royal Oak, at the bottom of the hill opened in the C18th and is still in trade today.
At the entrance to the street there was a small island of buildings included a forge, an inn and a small market house.
Walking down the hill there are many small houses of the C17th and C18th. Number 22 is part of the C18th terrace. This has a block Tudor arched doorway exactly in line with the passageway of No. 15 The Chipping.
Kingsley House was the workhouse, built in 1790 by George Hopkins. It was rebuilt in 1905-06 largely by V.A. Lawson.
At the bottom of the hill a small ornate house built in 1741, called Delburn House. This is an ashlarfaced building of two storeys plus attic, the windows have moulded architraves.
BENNETT, ISAAC [Cottage]; BROWN, FRANCIS [2 cottages]; CLARK, GEO ['Malt House', 2 houses, 3 cottages]; COLE, G B [2 houses, 5 cottages]; COX, JAMES [house]; FRY, ESTHER [4 cottages]; FRY, J [4 cottages]; HARRIS, ANN [house]; LEACY, THOMAS [3 cottages]; MESSERS HOLBOROW & HATHERALL [cottage]; NEEMES, TIMOTHY [3 cottages]; PONTING, WM [2 cottages]; PURNELL, EDWARD [5 cottages]; SAUNDERS, THOMAS [cottage]; SEALY, JOHN [1 house, 2 cottages]; SEALY, SARAH [cottage, Crown Inn]; SMITH, DAN W [cottage]; WICKHAM, JOHN C [house etc]
date stone on carriage entranceway of The Crown with initials MV
first workhouse was built by George Hopkins
A daffordil bazaar held in the Tetbury Institute on behalf of the Methodist Church raised £55 for new heating and renovations of the former Primitive Methodist Chapel on Gumstool Hill which was to be used for special works of the Methodist Church.
[Western Daily Press - Saturday 28 April 1934]
Cirencester Methodist Circuit
CHAPEL RECORDS - Tetbury (Long Street) [Wesleyan]
Sale of disused Primitive Methodist chapel, Gumstool Hill
[Gloucestershire Archives ref. D3931/2/15/8]
Tetbury Rural District Council Building Applications and Plans
Building control applications and plans - date: 04.10.1946
Sewer connection, drainage and W.C., The Chapel, Gumstool Hill (plans); owner: P. Harding; agent: R. G. Cox