Home Timeline People Places Life

The Fox

Situated on Fox Hill, with a small stream running in front of it, was recorded as ‘The Fox’ in the C18 and was finally closed as a pub in 1965.

The Valuation survey from 1914 described the property:

Building description noted on 15/9/1914

‘stone and stone tile, stucco front, house and inn in fair repair [roof bad] containing 3 bedrooms, 2 attics; bar, bar parlour, kitchen, club room, cellars underground, garden with 2 pigstyes, fowl house, store place, WC, urinal, and 2 stall stable; town water.  Note that stone built and corrugated iron store adjoining is let to Mrs Poole at 1 shilling per year paid to Stroud Brewery


C18th

Joseph Hobbs and his family was 'of The Fox'. Jsp Hobbs, victualler age 55 buried in 1773

1780

Daniel Tanner  paid 4s6d land tax

1794

Mrs Wright paid poor rates for the Fox  [Mary Hobbs m.Wm Wright who died 1794]

1822-1823

William Sandy was 'mine host'!

1830

Robert Taylor

1838

Valuation Survey owner J Cook, occupier Robert Wakefield

1839

Robert Wakefield

1844

James Wakefield

1850

John Hunt from Bath, SOM

1852-1864

John Hunt

1860

In the 1860 poor rates John Hunt was living on the premises which were  owned by Messrs Cook

1861

John Hunt, also listed as a carpenter and wheelwright

1870

Elijah Mann

1872

former landlord John Hunt died

1876

Elijah T.Mann

1881

Elijah T Mann & family resident innkeeper

1885-1889

William Compton

1891

William Compton In 1891 he was the occupier with an annual tenancy from Messrs Cook who were the owners.

1897

William Compton

1900

William Compton fined £2 for allowing drunkenness on his premises

1903

William Compton In 1903 he was still in occupancy on a quarterly tenancy agreement from Messrs Cook.  The Inn was open 7 days a week, and until 11pm.  Wm had received on conviction during the past 5 years

1906-1907

William Compton

1908

William Compton [Directories compiled during the year prior to date]

1907

27 November Frederick Ashleford took tenancy on an annual lease from Cooks, later Stroud Brewery

1910

Frederick Ashleford

1913

Cooks sold to Stroud Brewery

1913

Frederick Ashleford, valuation form

1914-1919

Frederick Ashleford

1924-1935

Frank Jefferies

1938

Percy Wilkins fined £3 for serving late until 11 instead of 10 on Christmas Eve 1937

1939

Percy Wilkins fined £3 for serving alcohol on a Sunday morning

1940

Percy Wilkins

1940

The inn was owned by the Stroud Brewery

1965

It closed as a public house and became Fox House