Eight Bells - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

Eight Bells

PLACES > Buildings > Inns
1740
Eight Bells was open by this date
1754
Rates listed Jannat Graham the owner, but gave the address as Long Street - was this the family address, but the inn was in occupation by another? Will of her father mentions leaving her a property in occupation of Edward Browne 1731. Another John died in 1713 intestate but he was an innholder and all children under age of 21 so requiring a guardian.
1794
parish rates list Mr Carisbrook as paying rates for Eight Bells
1801
adverts appeared in the Gloucester Journal for the sale of the premises with Mr Henry Buckingham as tenant from year to year
1802
parish rates list Mrs Carisbrook proprietor of 'H 8 Bells'* and occupier H Buckingham [*house Eight Bells]
1822-1830
Ann Buckingham
1838
Valuation survey - owned John Cook, occupied by Edmund Sealy
1839
rates - owned by John Cook, occupied by Edmund Sealy
1840
Mr Edmund Sealy
1844
Edmund Sealy
1849-1876
Ann Cox
1860
rates - owned by Messrs Cook and occupied by Ann Cox [who owned cottages on Harper Street]
1881-1882
Raymond Smith [died 1888 aged 31]
1885
Henry Cuss [1833-87]
1887
Henry Cuss; died intestate
1888-1891
Licensing Act: Jonathon Pratt from Northamptonshire was the tenant, and Messrs Cook the owner of the tied alehouse.
1893-1914
Robert Palmer, also a shoemaker from Wiltshire
1902
Robert Palmer’s son Louis died in S Africa at Kroostad
1903
Licensing Act: Robert Palmer was the tenant, and Messrs Cook the owner of the tied alehouse. The closing time was 11pm
1904
Mr Palmer was one of the caterers at the Tetbury show and of the 265 glasses he took down to the show ground he returned with only 49
1905
Mr Palmer was granted occasional license to sell at Tetbury Flower Show
1912
Mrs Palmer died suddenly whilst getting ready to go to an entertainment at the White Hart
1918
Robert Palmer died at the Eight Bells, intestate, son Ernest William Palmer granted admon of his estate.
1924
W.C.Goulding landlord summonsed for being drunk on his premises
1935
1 May – licensee Mr James Joseph Long died suddenly
1941
Mrs Rose Strong of The Eight Bells deceived into buying food from a soldier, food which had been stolen from a supply depot.
Situated on Church Street, The Eight Bells had an unusual frontage with its timber framed gables jettied out over the pavement. The entrance was set back beneath the upper floors. A landlord fell to his death by falling down a well at the pub in the 1890's. The Eight Bells closed in the 1970's. The property is now home to a picture framing company - Eight Bells Gallery.
Back to content