|Doctor||biographical information||dates in Tetbury|
was born in Broadway, WOR c.1840 son of a farmer, married first Frances Eleanor in 1865 and moved with her to Stow, SFK where she died in 1867 of typhoid fever in Woolpit, Stow, aged 25. He put all his household effects, house, horses and carriages up to be sold by auction on 5 July 1867. More tragedy struck in September 1869 when his three year old daughter Gertrude Eleanor, who was living in Icomb Rectory with her uncle, died. He was married to second wife Annie Maria Goodwyn in 1871, and he died 1908 STS. On the 1861 census he is listed as a medical student in Broadway and he sat his exams for a diploma from the Royal College of Surgeons the following year. On 19/3/1863 he passed examinations in science and practice of medicine and received his licence to practice. The date of registration was 5/2/1865 and his address at this time was Woolpit, Bury St Edmunds. Member Royal College Surgeons England 1862, License Society of Apothecaries, London 1863. In the 1871 census he is living on The Chipping, a widower prior to his marriage to Annie Maria Goodwyn. He had moved to Longton, STS by the 1881 census and between the birth of his two eldest children listed as aged 7 and 4. In Dec 1892 he was badly injured and burnt when some sulphuretted ether blew up and caught fire in his surgery.
He remained in Langton for the rest of his life.
1869 AVERILL, ALFRED SURGEON mentioned in bmd column of newspaper on death of daughter.
1871 AVERILL, ALFRED SURGEON married in Tetbury
1870-74 AVERILL, ALFRED
Michael Knollys BRAYBROOKE
born in Berkshire, son of clergyman W.A.R.Braybrooke; served in the newly formed airforce (Royal Flying Corps) in 1917-18 (on his attestation forms he gives his civilian occupation as Games Master); he qualified at St George's, London in 1925; married Dorothy J. L. Taylor, a well known golfer, in 1931; played cricket for the town but also known to have played football and boxed at 'competitive team' levels; in 1927 was living at 8 Silver Street, with Arthur and Alice Braybrooke, and the surgery was at 10 Silver Street; by 1930 he was living at Gloucester House, The Chipping; his medical partner was Dr Sedgwick; died at Warn's Court, Tetbury.
1931 BRAYBROOKE, K.M. GLOUCESTER HOUSE
a surgeon listed in Tetbury Directory of 1791
1791 COLE SURGEON
ABEL WELLAVIZE COLEMAN
was born in Gloucester 1784, apprenticed to John Dallaway, surgeon of Tetbury in 1799 and the freedom of the City of Gloucester was granted in 1805. He married Maria Wood nee Biedermann in 1818. There is evidence that he may have been in Brighton in the between 1834-1837 practicing as a surgeon on St James Street. By 1843 he was in possession of a leasehold house on The Chipping; by 1845 property in both The Chipping and Long Newnton. Maria died in 1848 aged 77, in Long Newnton and Abel died at The Cottage, Long Newnton, age 67 on 4th August 1851 and was buried in Tetbury. In the 1851 Census he is listed as a non practising surgeon. His estate was left to Benjamin Wood, son of his wife, Maria.
1818 COLEMAN, Abel W surgeon
1820 COLEMAN, R.W. SURGEON
1822 COLEMAN, ABEL WELLAVISE CHIPPING
1830 COLEMAN, ABEL
1845 COLEMAN, ABEL WELLAVISE SURGEON mentioned in list from County of Gloucester Bank
born c.1762, was a surgeon in Tetbury at least between 1791 [trade directory & parish registers] and 1805 [subscriber to History of Malmesbury book]. He was born c1762 married Elizabeth Ann Hubbersty in St Leonards, Shoreditch 1787, and died at Stratford Green, Essex in March 1825 - obituary states 'late of Tetbury', age 63. Will describes him as surgeon of Tetbury in 1805. Probate granted in 1825.
1779 December John Dallaway taken apprentice by John Palmer, surgeon of Hereford
1791 DALLAWAY SURGEON & APOTHECARY
1792 John Dallaway surgeon, took apprentice William Wood
1796 John Dallaway surgeon, took apprentice William Brydges
1799 John Dallaway surgeon, took apprentice Abel W.Coleman
1805 DALLAWAY SURGEON Listed as subscriber to History of town of Malmesbury
in 1810 attended the Overbury family births. He was married to unknown, and secondly to Harriet Pike in 1811.
1810 DAVIES, JOHN mentioned in surgical book
1820 DAVIS, JOHN SURGEON
1821 John Davies Doctor appears in Land Tax for Shipton Moyne
1822 DAVIES, JOHN The GREEN
1830 DAVIES, JOHN
was born c.1805 in Keswick, CUL, and married Hannah Bowerbank 1845 in KEN. They had 3 children born in Tetbury, and were in Clapham by 1861. GP and member of the RCS London 1828, licentiate of Apothecaries Company London 1827
1845 was a surgeon of Tetbury on his marriage to Hannah in Bromley, Kent
1851 living on Long Street and a surgeon 'general practitioner; member of the Royal College of Surgeons, London, licientate of Apothecaries Company London etc.' In Tetbury by 1847 when oldest son born.
1852 EDMONDSON, JAMES LONG STREET
1853 James Edmondson freehold house and gardens on Long Street
1859 in Surrey by this year
LEOPOLD ERNEST VALENTINE EVERY-CLAYTON
was born c.1869 in LAN, and married to Dorothy Bennet, daughter of a doctor. He practised medicine in Tetbury for c.3yrs. In 1895 he became a member Royal College of Surgeons, Fellow 1896; Licensed Royal College Physicians 1895; MB Bach Surgery 1893 MD 1895 Univ Lond died 18/11/1954 BRK age 85
1923-25 EVERY-CLAYTON, LEOPOLD ERNEST VALENTINE M.D. OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, LONG STREET
His obituary reads -
"RICHARD FILKIN, M.D., RICHMOND, SURREY.
RICHARD FILKIN was born at Great Berkhampstead in November 1775. His father was Lieutenant Richard Filkin, R.N. In July 1790 he commenced his medical education under Mr. Dundas (afterwards Sir David Dundas, Bart.), Sergeant-Surgeon to King George the Third. Seven years later, Richard Filkin entered on his medical and surgical studies at St. George's Hospital, and passed as Member of the Royal College of Surgeons in I8O3. He then entered the army, and ultimately became Surgeon of the North Gloucester Militia; and in 1815, the regiment having been disembodied, he was placed on half-pay, which he retained to the time of his death.
Being relieved from military duty, he settled in private practice at Tetbury in Gloucestershire, where he resided about fourteen years. After he had left Tetbury he went to Glasgow, and took his degree of M.D. at the University. He never practised after this, but occupied his leisure in travelling on the continent of Europe. He eventually settled at Richmond, and where he died on the 15th inst., in the ninety-sixth year of his age.
Dr. Filkin was a man of considerable intelligence and of agreeable conversation. As a medical officer of the army, his zeal and energy occasioned him to be well thought of at the Army Medical Board, especially for his Code of Diet for the Army." [Source: obit BMJ 30/9/1871]
A newspaper report following his death, stated that he was to be replaced by John Butler as one of 'The Thirteen'. [14/10/1871 Wiltshire and Gloucestershire Standard]
1801 to be surgeon to Royal North Battalion of Gloucestershire Militia
1803 M.R.C.S. Eng.
1808 to be surgeon of Royal North Gloucestershire Regiment of Militia, [Hayward resigned]
1820 FILKIN, RICHARD Tetbury
1822 FILKIN, RICHARD, LONG STREET
1828 partnership between Richard Filkin & Frederick Blundstone White of Tetbury, surgeons dissolved by mutual consent
1828 1828 M.D. Glasgow
1829 partnership between Richard Filkin, surgeon of Stow on the Wold & Leonard Hayward surgeon &
apothecary of Stow on the Wold dissolved as Leonard Hayward deceased
1845 Cavendish Square, London
1871 probate 'The will of RF Esq formerly of Tetbury and Richmond has been proved under £20,000 personalty. He devises his real estate to William Sugden of Queens Square, Bath' Bequests were also left to Tetbury dispensary, both day and Sunday Schools in Tetbury and to the poor of Richmond and Tetbury.
Medical Records of North Gloucester Militia
Reference D567 Medical records doubtless of Richard Filkin, surgeon to the North Glos. Militia
Tetbury Dispensary. [no ref. or date]
D567/41-42 1819-1821 Registers of Richard Filkin, surgeon. (Names of patients and prescriptions)
Richard Filkin MD (fl.1803-1870), of Richmond, Surrey. Historical collections, 19th cent. Add. 25893-25895, 36486-36487
Wiltshire Record Office
212A/38/86/7a Lease and release: PURTON par. Wilts. 1. Walter Matthews Paul and Robert Clark Paul 2. Richard Filkin of Tetbury 27 & 28 Dec. 1819
212A/38/86/7b Lease and release: PURTON par. Wilts. 1. Walter Matthews Paul and Robert Clark Paul 2. Richard Filkin of Tetbury 27 & 28 Dec. 1819
212A/38/86/8 Deed of covenant to produce deeds: 1. Walter Matthews Paul 2. Richard Filkin 28 Dec. 1819
|JAMES BERNARD CHALMERS FRANCIS|
was born c1874 LAN, the son of a vicar and educated at a school in Stamford, LIN. In 1901 he was living in lodgings Lambeth, and a student. He was registered with the BMC in 1903 MRCS Eng 1902 LRCP Lond 1902.
1908 Francis Street, London W.
1913 London E.C.
1931 FRANCIS, J.C. The Old House LONG STREET
1939 in Hove
JOHN HORACE FREER
[or Frewer] was born in Calcutta, India c.1791, and was married secondly to Emily Ollive, widow in 1836 Dorset.
1840 FREER, J.H. LONG STREET
1841 FREER, JOHN SURGEON COURT COTTAGE, TETBURY
1842-44 FREWER, J.H.
by 1851 he and Emily were living in Sutton Coldfield, WAR.
married to Ann Morton 1766, died in Tetbury May 1781. Listed as surgeon and apothecary. Ann died in Clapham 1786 but was buried in Tetbury.
was born c.1810 in Devon and registered with the BMC 1 Jan 1859. He gained his License Society of Apothecaries in London 1826 and became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons England 1828. He moved back to his home county of Devon between 1871-1875.
1859 HOLE, JOHN called parish surgeon in Lees History of Tetbury SILVER STREET
1863 HOLE, JOHN THE CHIPPING
1868 HOLE, JOHN THE CHIPPING
1871 HOLE, JOHN Tetbury
JOHN STAFFORD MELLISH
was born on 5 August 1864 to parents William & Sophia, in Orston, NTT where William was vicar. He married Ethel Marion Browne 21 April 1892 at All Saints, Marylebone, London and they had two children. Son John Brudenell MELLISH was born 1893 in Marylebone and died whilst at Haileybury College, HRT in 1909. Daughter Dorothy Stafford MELLISH was born 1902 in Tetbury.
Registration was 14 May 1897 for his membership of Royal College Surgeons England, and the same year Licence Royal College Physicians London. Between 1907 -1923 listed at Coombe House, Tetbury.
Dr Mellish was working in Wells next the Sea, NFK in 1901 but by 1902 had moved to Tetbury although the first listing of him doesn’t appear until 1909. The family home was Coombe House, New Church Street. He died there in 1930.
1919 MELLISH, JOHN STAFFORD M.R.C.S.Eng L.R.C.P.Lond COOMBE HOUSE
1923 MELLISH, SILVER STREET [SURGERY]
RICHARD ERNEST SEDGWICK
was born in Birmingham, WAR c.1875.
He was registered on 5 February 1900 Eng B.C., M.B. 1900 M.D. 1906 University of Cambridge. In 1901 he was a house physician at the District General Hospital, Birmingham, WAR. By 1907 he was working in Carlisle, CUL and the 1911 census lists him as married [c.1908] with two children. On 30/12/1914 the London Gazette listed him as being ‘promoted’to temporary lieutenant with the Royal Army Medical Corps.
It is unclear when exactly he moved to Tetbury but his medal cards give his address as The Surgery, Tetbury and directories list him as practising at the Silver Street Surgery from 1923. His residential address 1923-1947 was Coombe House, Tetbury.
1923 SEDGEWICK, RICHARD ERNEST M.D. B.Ch.Camb SILVER STREET [SURGERY]
1923-1947 SEDGEWICK, R.E.COOMBE HOUSE
of Tetbury, admitted to practice chirugery [surgery] within the diocese of Gloucester, subscribing to the articles of religion within the 36th canon
was born c1737 and married Esther [UK] in 1788, and died in 1814. He had an apothecary business situated near the Market Place, the premises were rented from Mr Carisbrooke for at least twenty years between 1764 - 1784. He was listed as surgeon & apothecary in the trade directory of 1791. In 1766 he was named as the father of a male bastard child by Elizabeth Dickman. He wrote ‘An infallible remedy to prevent the contraction of the venereal disease, etc.’ Publisher/year Tetbury, 1803.
1791 THOMPSON, THOMAS SURGEON & APOTHECARY
In his will of 1814 Dr Thompson makes many charitable bequests - the Almshouses, the Presbryterian congregation, the Parish Church. He mentions property in Malmesbury, WIL and that formerly known as the Swan Inn. Of particular interest is the mention of a former apprentice, James Walker and his son William Walker, to whom he leaves the Malmesbury property. This connection provides the link to the chemist family of Walker who set up in the town in the early C19.
|FREDERICK BLUNDSTONE WHITE|