Home Timeline People Places Life

THE CROWN

The Crown Inn was formerly the Angel Inn, and before that The Queens Arms.  It may have had another name before this and changed when Queen Anne came to the throne in 1702.  There was another Angel Inn recorded in Long Street so it may have had it's name changed to The Crown to differentiate from that one. The stables of this popular coaching inn were reached from Gumstool Hill until Chipping Hill cut through the Croft.  A cabinet maker by the name of Omar Davis had his workshops around the back. The world famous Woolsack races start here.


1627

William Slaughter was a soldier billeted here on 2nd February

1693

rebuilding work undertaken

mid 1700s

The Crown owned by Christopher Clarke [maybe in part] according to transcript of deeds mainly relating to Crew House.

1774

Old Angel left in trust to Joseph Orum, son of Moses, by William Orum of Garsdon, along with one other property.

1776

Moses Orum entitled to vote as owner of 2 houses in Tetbury. He lived in Charlton, Wiltshire; the Tetbury houses were inhabited by J.Bailey and F.Long - there is no indication if either were an inn

1780

William Cox paid land tax for 'ye angel' 5 shillings

1793

advert for auction at the house of William Coxe [the Angel Inn, Tetbury] 25/3/1793 Gloucester Journal

1802

Mrs Cox, wife of William of The Angel Inn, died. 1/2/1802

1804

Edwards Staymakers from the Cross, Gloucester visited for the purpose of attending his patrons from the evening of Wednesday 2nd  May until noon on Thursday 3rd. 30/4/1804 Gloucester Journal

1820

Angel Francis Crew, also a plasterer & tiler

1822

Angel Francis Crew

1824

In 1824 The Angel Inn was occupied by Francis Crew and he paid land tax of £4 14s 7d

1830

Angel John Berry

1838

The Angel Inn owned by Francis Brown, occupied by Francis Crew - Tithe Valuation

1840s

no listing in directories of this era

1856

William Lock

1859

Crown William Lock

1860

In the Rate Book of 1860 the owner of The Crown was Sarah Sealy, and the Inn was occupied by William Lock.  An area known as Crown Inn Yard held a warehouse which was rented to C & J Fowles, and a cottage rented to Fanny Palmer.

1863

Crown William Lock

1870

Crown William Lock

1876

Crown William Lock, also a farmer

1885

Crown William Lock

1891

Licensing Act lists The CROWN with landlord ET Mann, tied to Messrs Cook alehouse on an annual lease with 1 transfer

1894

E.Mann

1897

Mann Elijah Thomas, Crown P.H Union Street.

1898

Elijah Mann fined at Tetbury Petty Sessions for being drunk on his own premises

1903

Licensing Act lists The Crown with landlord Ernest Wm Mann tied to Messers Cook alehouse on a quarterly lease, closing at 11pm; 2 transfers  and 1 conviction

1914

Mann Ernest Crown P.H & chimney sweeper Union Street

1915

Valuation Survey assessment lists licensed house, cottage, buildings and land which was part of the business sold by Cooks to Stroud Brewery in 1913 for £33,000.  The Crown was valued at £830.

1950

Charles & Elsie Bowsher

1980s

childs shoe found during refurbishment

Left photographed in 2004 and right 2015. Now awaiting refurbishment or ‘repurposing’ the building is sadly left empty whilst it’s  future is undecided.