Home Timeline People Places Life

The Close Hotel

In comparison to the other inns and hotels in the town The Close is a very new member of the group, yet it s probably one of the oldest houses in the town dating from before 1594.  For many years the home of the Paul family, Balfour and Morrison-Bell.  More research will be done on this as a residential home later.

1960

December for sale with agent Knight,Frank and Rutley along with Close Farm

Newspaper

1966

for sale with local agent for £13750

Newspaper

1968

photographed by Dr Andrews with sign offering teas, morning coffee and homemade cakes


1971

Peggy and John Hastings


1972

new Georgian restaurant overlooking walled garden; 10 bedrooms; John & Peggy Hastings

advert in Cotswold Life magazine

1973

family hotel

advert in Cotswold Life magazine

1974

January  - damaged by fire

advert in Cotswold Life magazine

1975

reopened with 11 bedrooms all ensuite

advert in Cotswold Life magazine

1986

sold


1987

redevelopment to include new bedrooms and conference facilities.  These were to be developed from the old school house and Baptist chapel in the grounds.


1990

Cotswold District Council planning permission granted for change of use from residential to hotel

Cotswold District Council planning applications website

2011

plans for remodelling granted by planning committee

Cotswold District Council planning applications website

2013

sold to small local chain of hotels


Left shows the hotel as it was in the 1980s, above in 2012.  The chimney stack on the right is particularly fine with some nice carvings which show the wealth of the original family who had the house built.

An overgrown Lime tree in the back garden was showing signs of decay in 2015 and needed to be removed. A video taken by the tree surgeon who removed it not only shows a skilled workman but gives some good views of the rears of Church Street and Long Street properties.