Church Lane - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

Church Lane

PLACES > Streets
Church Lane, now known as The Green, runs between Silver Street and Church Street.  The best known buildings along this single carriageway road are the Almshouses and the Vicarage.

VICARAGE
The vicarage, which was rebuilt for John Wight in 1771-2, is described in 1857 by Alfred Lee, curate as "commodius Vicarage House and garden opposite the parish church"
As vicar, the incumbent was entitled to the vicarial tithes, or small tithes and in Tetbury he was also "endowed with the whole tithes of Doughton and Upton, and of the rest of the parish except The Grange, all but corn."
Building control applications and plans 1949 1st March for Rev.W.S.Llewellyn; architect: Stratton Davis & Yates          
Gloucestershire Archives ref.DA 36/710/2/364

CHURCH LANE RESIDENTS
Baldwin 1841; Buckingham 1881; Clarke 1841; Cleaver 1871; Cooper 1851, 1901; Darch 1841, 1871, 1881; Davies 1860, 1861, 1871; Fuge 1851; Harris 1851, 1860; Haye 1841; Holiday 1841; Hunt 1901; Kidd 1871, 1881; King 1851; Lamb 1881; Lock 1841, 1851; Lowder 1851; Mann 1841; Neal 1860; Perrot 1881; Sutton 1841; Taylor 1881; Tugwell 1881; Washbourne 1841, 1851; Whitehead 1841; Wilkins 1841, 1881.

CHURCH LANE OWNERS
1860:
Rev Frampton [vicarage]
Mrs Benjamin [2 cottages]
George Sealy [1 cottage]
                                                                            
Resources:
Tetbury parish poor rates - Gloucestershire Archives ref. P328a/OV1/32
Lee, A.T. History of the Town & Parish of Tetbury; 1857
Kelly's Directory Gloucestershire 1919
Back to content