Jesse Cull, a baker, born in Tetbury in 1863, had by 1894 set up his dining rooms at 4 Chipping Street. He was listed in trade directories up until 1931. Jesse died in 1934 aged 71 by which time it is assumed that eldest son Herbert Maurice Cull had taken over. The business was listed as refreshment rooms in 1938.
In 1894 two labourers from Rodmarton were charged with stealing a pig's cheek from the cook shop belonging to Jesse Cull. The theft happened on a Saturday at 20 minutes to 11 (pm). What is learnt from this small report in the Petty Sessions is that the cafe was open until late, and that it was selling pig's cheeks. By 1897 his business was known as a coffee tavern.
The shop and dwelling house occupied by Jesse, on Chipping Street, was originally owned by Robert Vick and was up for auction in 1908 following the death of the owner. The lot was advertised "The shop and dwelling house with private side entrance, occupied by Mr Jesse Cull (Coffee Tavern) as a yearly tenant; contains front shop with plate glass window, Front Sitting Room or Kitchen, Back Kitchen, Underground Cellar, Courtyard and W.C., Long Dining Room on first floor, 2 bedrooms above."