Doughton 1841, employing 2 men in 1851 [Wills 1801 - 1858: 1854/136 blacksmith]
wife of James, ran business at Westonbirt/Doughton and in 1861 employed 2 men & 1 boy
son of James & Eleanor, working in Westminster 1841, back in Doughton by 1851. living in Bank House, Doughton 1871; Advertising business in Bath Road in 1876. On retirement lived on The Chipping.
son of James & Eleanor, Newtown 1876
BANKS, William George
working as blacksmith by age of 13; son of James Francis
The Agrarian History of England and Wales by Edward John T. Collins, mentions "the Banks family at Westonbirt forge 1846-1870 where shoeing, sharpening, retining, and repairs provided almost the entire work." The VCH states "From 1846 the Westonbirt estate was served by blacksmiths of the Banks family who occupied the smithy west of the new Hare and Hounds until at least 1939."
1842-1844 also publican of the Three Cups
Charlton 1854 also victualler, innkeeper Three Cocks, Charlton
RATCLIFFE, Thomas jun
at Rodmarton 1868
SEALY, Alexander snr
Chipping 1830-1844 also town crier
probably Long Street 1830-1842; Union Street 1842-1852; also ironmonger A letter transcript sent to Fox Talbot at Laycock can be seen here
Church Street 1830-1868 also brazier, ironmonger etc.
Church Street 1854-1885. In 1871 living in Beverstone, GLS. A Henry Simkins of Tetbury/Charlton left a will Ref.1834/256 [Wills 1801 - 1858]
Church Street 1876-1902 son of Henry. In 1881 master blacksmith employing 1 boy
son of Henry; Beverstone 1868
Chipping Street 1876-1897; also grocer
son of Robert; The Chipping 1902
son of Henry & Rebecca, Long Street 1830-1868 also beer seller