Bath Bridge - TetburyFamilies2018

Tetbury Families
Tetbury Families
Go to content

Bath Bridge

PLACES > Streets
Before the main bridge was built across the valley the main route into the town was steep and difficult to access.  A small bridge over the stream formed the dry route in wet weather but as anyone who has climbed up the former Black Horse Hill will know - it’s steep either up or down.  
In 1774 the turnpike commissioners employed a local mason, Thomas Webb, to build Bath Bridge. Levelling commenced in November 1774 and the bridge was completed in April 1776.
1837
Cottage and land near the Bath Bridge
(Gloucestershire Archives Ref.D566/T/2/23)

1859
Cottage and land near the Bath Bridge
(Gloucestershire Archives Ref.D566/T/2/23)

Cottage near the Bath Bridge
(Gloucestershire Archives Ref.D566/T/2/25)

1881
Tetbury Bath Bridge, Lease of one arch of Tetbury Bath Bridge or Viaduct with letters
(Gloucestershire Archives Ref.Q/AB/17)

1882
The Clerk of the County Works reported at a meeting of Gloucestershire Quarter Sessions that Bath Bridge was out of repair [along with several others in the county]
(Gloucester Journal - Saturday 07 January 1882 page 8 col.f)

1886
Conveyance of newly erected messuage in Chipping Lane, Tetbury and tenement/room adjoining, used as chapel, and of a cottage, garden and premises in tithing of Charlton, parish of Tetbury, near the Bath Bridge on the turnpike road (the garden being used as a cemetery)(Withers & Williams, Tyndall Drew)
(Gloucestershire Archives Ref.D2742/4)

1937
Report of Bankruptcy of Bath Bridge Garage appeared in several local newspapers.

1949
Illustrations include church and Bath bridge from Cutwell
Tetbury rural district official guide c.1949 (Gloucestershire Archives Ref.R300.13(1)GS)

1952
photograph of church from across Bath Bridge
(Face of Gloucestershire, the story of Tetbury; Little, Bryan; Gloucestershire countryside, Vol. 7, 1949-52, p. 462-5)

1980-1990
Cotswold Division bridge register 1-400: Bath Bridge [Tetbury] (188); Drawbridge [Tetbury] (189)
(Gloucestershire Archives Ref.K1870/3/1)
Back to content