THE BARTONS Bath Bridge or Church St
This is the house situated close to the church and appears to be listed as either on Church Street or Bath Bridge depending on the resource used. John Wight obtained the C18 house in 1776 and added an ashlar faced wing with an elegant cornice with fluted frieze and inscription "JW 1776". The house had a plain five-bay garden facade to the rear.
1776 Revd. John Wight
1841 Frederick White surgeon
1859-1861 William Ricketts retired farmer
1870 following the death of R.Bennett of The Barton House Fowler & Ludlow were instructed to sell at the premises by auction 'the neat and useful household furniture, glass, antique china, upwards of 100 vols of Books, and other effects'.
1872 William Warn The Barton House
1876-1896 Warn family, brewers
1897-1901 Captain Henry Charles Fenwick
1900 - a sales brochure from Constable and Maude of London advertised a reduced price of £4000 (previously £4250). Accommodation consisted of a hall with W.C., dining room, double drawing room, study, domestic offices including kitchen scullery with 'Ease' range, servants hall and butlers pantry. Upstairs (accessed by 2 staircases) 5 bed and dressing rooms and 2 bathrooms, 3 maids rooms and maids bathroom with W.C. and a box room. There were cellars, a garage and about an acre of gardens, which the agent stated need some outlay. Central Heating with calorifier, mains water, electric light installed by Drake and Gorman drawn from the main, gas and sewerage.
1919-1933 Roper Kingscote Tyler, then his widow until her death in 1933
1941 owner Mrs Angela I.E.Ross lets the furnished property to General Harry Lionel Pritchard.
BARTON HOUSE, or Barton Abbots, The Green
Barton Abbots was previously called The Bartons and was built for woolstapler William Savage in mid C18, on a site of some houses he bought in 1730. The building has a renedered mid C18 front of three storeys and six bays and a restored porch with doric columns. The garden side is earlier. A former stable entrance further east is probably later C18. The grounds extended some distance southeast with C18 pleasure grounds wrapped round the east and south sides of the Saxon ramparts. Near the north end there survivea a rectangular Gothic folly, a pair of plunge pools and further east an hexagonal Tuscan summer house.
In 1796 it was bought and altered by Robert Clark Paul, and Whyte Melville, the writer was a later occupant. The street front, the staircase and some internal fittings survive from Savages house but extensive additions were made on the southeast in the late C18 and the C19, and futher extentions on the southwest in the early C20. The house was extensively modernised in the 1960s
1851 John Comely Wickham, GP
1854 'neat and useful household furniture, handsome cut glass, Brussels and Kidderminster Carpts, pianoforte, capital mangle (Baker's Patent) Phaeton with head, harness, iron garden roll, brewing utensitls and effects to be sold by auction, by C.F.Moore' 'by order of the representatives of William Bennett esq, deceased.
1871 William Brookes Esq landowner, JP
1872 Edward Darell, J.P. gave his address as The Bartons. In the same list was William Warn of The Barton House.
1876 Mrs William Brookes The Bartons
1878 Mr George John Whyte-Melville, author and ballard writer died in a hunting accident and was buried in the churchyard in December of that year. A controversial request to disinter the body was made by his widow, Charlotte, in 1904 who wanted him reburying in her now home county of Suffolk. After objections by his daughter this request was abandoned. In 1888 Charlotte Higginson Whyte-Melville sued for a declaration of the nullity of her marriage with the Rev.Henry P.Higginson, on the ground that he was already married (in 1862). He had been Charlotte's private chaplain at her residence, The Bartons, Tetbury, at £600 per year and she went to Geneva with him to be married in 1886. Her 'husband' had been an officer in the customs at Dublin, went into several businesses, and was ordained in South Africa in 1877. The decree was granted.
1886 William Brookes, The Bartons
1896 - 1935 Charles Willoughby BISHOP late Major 9th Lancers
In 1924 Mrs Bishop was advertising throughout June and July for an experienced parlour maid 'two in family and 5 maid servants; state age and wages required'.
July 1913 a fire at Barton Abbots had cost £1 8s 9d the captain of the Tetbury Fire Brigade (Mr Warne) reported to the Urban Council
In 1899 Major Bishop was calling for men to serve in South Africa. His address was given as Barton House.